Mar 22, 2014, 5:52 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, March 22, 16 days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
Here are the five most talked about Redskins this week:
Robert Griffin III—His appearance here is noteworthy mostly because he hasn’t been talked about much this offseason. That, of course, is in stark comparison to last year’s “offseason of recovery” when we heard from Griffin and about him constantly. He made some news early in the week when he told our Tarik El-Bashir that he won’t be wearing a knee brace this season. Griffin also said that with Jay Gruden now in charge there is a “new energy” at Redskins Park.
Brandon Meriweather—We didn’t hear a whole lot about him when free agency started as the Redskins were looking for someone to replace him. But they couldn’t land Mike Mitchell and with Ryan Clark not willing to play for what the Redskins were offering so they turned to last year’s starting free safety.
Santana Moss—Many were wondering if he’d be back with the Redskins but he never had any doubt that he would re-sign. However, there is some doubt about whether or not he will make the team when the cut to 53 is made in late August.
Tyler Polumbus—The Redskins worked hard to try to bring in Donald Penn to replace him at right tackle but he ended up signing with the Raiders. The question is, can Polumbus and the rest of the holdovers on the offensive line breathe easy now or will changes be coming at some point in time before September?
Akeem Jordan—This could be the Redskins’ best under-the-radar signing of the offseason. He not only is a solid option to start beside Perry Riley at inside linebacker but he can be a force on special teams as well.
—Redskins offensive lineman Kory Lichtensteiger was born on this date in 1985.
—It’s been 83 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 169 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 16; NFL Draft 47; Training camp starts 123
In case you missed it
- Moss to have a fight on his hands
- How much cap space do the Redskins need to sign their draft picks?
- Five NFL rule changes that should be approved without debate
- Enemy Intel: Seattle Seahawks
- Updates on Britt, McGlynn and more
Follow Us On Twitter
- Fact or Fiction: Redskins’ special teams units will continue to improve
- Josh Norman earns respect from peers, sets new 'Top 100' standard for Redskins
- A $20 million yearly average is now the floor for a Cousins deal
- Need to Know: Are the Cowboys the Redskins' biggest threat in the NFC East?
- Adam Schefter: Kirk Cousins contract extension 'too difficult to do'
- What Andrew Luck's new monster contract means for Kirk Cousins
- What is Kirk Cousins trying to say with this anniversary tweet
- Redskins true or false: Josh Norman will repeat as an All-Pro
- Position preview: Redskins looking for a Plan B at center
- Cowboys draft pick looks unlikely to play in 2016