Need to Know: RG3 among Redskins most talked about this week

Mar 22, 2014, 5:52 AM EDT

RG3-knee-brace

Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, March 22, 16 days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.

Nickel coverage

Here are the five most talked about Redskins this week:

Robert Griffin III—His appearance here is noteworthy mostly because he hasn’t been talked about much this offseason. That, of course, is in stark comparison to last year’s “offseason of recovery” when we heard from Griffin and about him constantly. He made some news early in the week when he told our Tarik El-Bashir that he won’t be wearing a knee brace this season. Griffin also said that with Jay Gruden now in charge there is a “new energy” at Redskins Park.

Brandon Meriweather—We didn’t hear a whole lot about him when free agency started as the Redskins were looking for someone to replace him. But they couldn’t land Mike Mitchell and with Ryan Clark not willing to play for what the Redskins were offering so they turned to last year’s starting free safety.

Santana Moss—Many were wondering if he’d be back with the Redskins but he never had any doubt that he would re-sign. However, there is some doubt about whether or not he will make the team when the cut to 53 is made in late August.

Tyler Polumbus—The Redskins worked hard to try to bring in Donald Penn to replace him at right tackle but he ended up signing with the Raiders. The question is, can Polumbus and the rest of the holdovers on the offensive line breathe easy now or will changes be coming at some point in time before September?

Akeem Jordan—This could be the Redskins’ best under-the-radar signing of the offseason. He not only is a solid option to start beside Perry Riley at inside linebacker but he can be a force on special teams as well.

—Redskins offensive lineman Kory Lichtensteiger was born on this date in 1985.

—It’s been 83 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 169 days until they play another one.

Days until: Offseason workouts start 16; NFL Draft 47; Training camp starts 123

1. Bryan - Mar 22, 2014 at 7:52 AM

I to like the Akeem Jordan signing I’d like to see him and Robinson fight it out for that other inside lb spot. I love the speed of Robinson and believe that could be very valuable in coverage but that remains to be seen. I think with the Jordan signing they prolly won’t target a inside on guy later in draft instead of earlier like I originally thought they would go after Borland. We can continue to work on DBS n oline now

2. kenlinkins - Mar 22, 2014 at 8:05 AM

If I was GM Allen, I would have a sign on my desk that read “It is NOT all about RG3, Until it is!” Until games start to count again the best way for the Redskins to improve is to “Upgrade where you can, When you can”. In the last three draft classes we have had 20 guys who have been either Cut, injury has placed a big question mark next to their name or have had a false start and only flashed. Most of this years Free Agents will have to hold the fort while we see if the 17 guys still on the roster from the last 3 draft classes can produce and if this years draft class can get off to a better start. Come Sept, It will be all about RG3, as his returning to the 2012 form of going 10-6 is in fact the greatness requirement for a winning season in 2014 and beyond, but until then it is about GM Allen rebuilding a roster and coach Gruden installing his system. So far, So Good, I just hope there is no more RG3 news until the Redskins are 1-0!

3. goskins44 - Mar 22, 2014 at 8:40 PM

With all due respect when you guys (you and Tarik) keep posting stuff about RGIII, it sounds like he is the one trying to be in the media. Why did Tarik run that article? Because he knew it would generate traffic for his writing. But at what expense? He was asked a question about something he actually talked to at the end of last season ,Tarik writes it as RGIII defiantly states he will not wear brace!!

Most of the comments and what you hear form Skins fans and others is “I wish RGIII would just Shut Up!” when all he did was answer a question. If he does’t answer the question you guys write “what is he hiding!”

Not you write a column titled “RGIII most talked about this week!” He did nothing but answer a single question Tarik wrote about it and most of the talk was everyone wishes RGIII would shut up, when in fact he did nothing wrong what so ever!!

I respect you have a job to do. But as a local writer don’t you have a responsibility to the local fans, not to keep feeding this perception that he is premodona that constantly is seeking the limelight when it you guys and the other media seeking him out because any RGIII related article, exaggerated or not, gets a lot of traffic? If not as a local writer, how about as a human being?

I really don’t mean this as any disrespect for you. I get the job you have is tough. But I just get tired of RGIII getting drug through the mud when he just wants to play football.

• Rich Tandler - Mar 22, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I have to say, this comment totally baffles me.

Tarik asked a question we’ve been asked, oh, I don’t know, eleventy million times since the season ended. He thought it would be a good idea to get clarity on the subject and then, hey this is a novel, evil concept, write an article about what he was told.

If anyone thinks that Griffin sought out media attention when he went to get the Ed Block Courage award in Baltimore, well, they are going to think the worst of him no matter what he does or doesn’t do. In fact, Tarik went up there from Ashburn not know if Griffin would talk. He decided to do so only when he found out that we had sent a crew.

It’s not like he notified the media and said “come talk to me here”. If anyone jumps to that conclusion, well, that’s on them.

And I’m not going to write a post on the most talked about Redskins of the week and omit him if he happens to be one of them that week. Again, if some are inclined to take that negatively, so be it.

Finally, I categorically reject your assertion that Griffin was “dragged through the mud” by me, Tarik, or anyone else at CSN.

> >

• goskins44 - Mar 23, 2014 at 6:45 AM

I never said you or Tarik dragged him through the mud. If it reads that way to you my apologies. But it is the result of what you write and the way it’s written.

After Tarik wrote his piece about the brace, ESPN, NFL, Yahoo Sports, Bleacher Report, etc ,etc etc all ran the piece and added comments to the effect of RGIII should just shut up and focus on football. Round tables on NFL and ESPN had former players and commentators saying the same thing. Had Tarik written the piece differently and made it clear he sought out RGIII for a response, then maybe it would have been different.

When your story has the head line, RGIII among Redskins most talked about, all those same people say the same thing, RGIII needs to just shut up when in fact he has done nothing.

I guess it’s part of being an NFL QB, but the garbage he gets thrown his way for simply answering questions asked of him is beyond anything I have ever seen in my 54 yrs on this planet.

Again, I in no way meant to say you and Tarik yourself dragged RGIII through the mud. Neither article said anything negative about him. But it’s the fallout from those articles because of the way they are titled and worded.

• Rich Tandler - Mar 23, 2014 at 6:53 AM

Oh, so what we wrote resulted in him getting dragged through the mud. Gee, that’s much better. Well, not really.

People are interested in Griffin and what he has to say. We write about what people are interested in. If other people react negatively to that, so be it.

By the way, if you think that Griffin is worried about this, don’t. Saw him a few weeks ago, we joked about it.

> >

4. goskins44 - Mar 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM

“If other people react negatively to that, so be it. ” I guess that sums up our difference. Having said that, if RGIII doesn’t care then I guess it’s not up to me to worry about it. He is a grown man.

Ok, back to football. I really like that the FO is not just throwing money at guys. There is no open checkbook here anymore. They have them at a certain value and if they want to be here for that great, if not and they can get more elsewhere, then that’s fine too. The patriots and packers have been doing business that way for quite sometime .

Although you could argue that NE is breaking that mold this year trying to take advantage of the last few years of Brady. I would not be surprised to belichik retire the same year brady does. Just a hunch.

Would have liked Penn, but heard he was woefully pout of shape (may just be gossip). I agree Jordan could be a good acquisition.

I think Moss makes the 53. He is too much a leader and can still get open, especially if Roberts continues to get better and Jordan stays healthy. I just one more year here with the young guys would be good for the team. That’s just me.

5. Ayana Rashed - Mar 24, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Reblogged this on Imarashed.