Mar 20, 2014, 5:09 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, March 20, 18 days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
One starter at safety is set for the Redskins. Here are five players who could start alongside Brandon Meriweather when the season starts.
Ryan Clark—Sure, the contract talks are dragging on but they could get done eventually. He’s the leader in the clubhouse only he’s, well, not in the clubhouse yet.
Phillip Thomas—You can’t hand him the job now and hope that he’ll get it done when September rolls around. But he could compete and perhaps push Clark or another veteran by the time the season starts.
Thomas DeCoud—I’m skipping over Chris Clemons on the list of potential veteran free agents since it appears that the Redskins have no interest in him. DeCoud had more interceptions in 2012 (6) than Clemons has in his career (4).
Ed Reynolds—The Stanford product is a smart, instinctive safety who relies on anticipation to get to the ball more than sheer speed. One think I liked was that the phrases “good open field tackler” and “takes excellent angles” came up a lot in his reviews. The defense could use some of that. The Redskins also showed some interest in Jimmie Ward of Northern Illinois during the Senior Bowl.
Bacarri Rambo—He showed enough promise to be made the starter last year so that says something about his ability. If he learns to tackle and shows some enthusiasm for playing special teams, he could get a second chance.
—It’s been 81 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 173 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 18; NFL Draft 49; Training camp starts 125
In case you missed it
- Fan questions: Who must improve?
- Redskins sign inside linebacker Akeem Jordan
- Penn to the Raiders, what’s next for the Redskins?
- Five Redskins thoughts including special teams improvement
Adam Hayward looks to help special teams improve
Follow Us On Twitter
- What's the key for McCoy in Indianapolis?
- David Amerson apologetic about absence
- Trent Williams, 6 others, questionable for Sunday
- Gruden: QB decision based on who's best right now
- Will Griffin get another shot with the Redskins?
- Can the Redskins defense follow up on strong game vs. 49ers?
- Redskins will stay in house to fill needs at cornerback
- Trent Williams 'optimistic' about playing in Indy
- RG3 opens up on being benched: 'It was Coach's decision'
- Despite No. 3 status, Cousins remains confident