Mar 18, 2014, 4:56 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, March 18, 20 days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
Nickel coverage We’re just a week into the league year and we have some answers about the 2014 season. But there are still many questions, here are five of them:
What will be done at safety? I’m not one of those media types who thought it was right to blast the team for not landing Mike Mitchell to play safety. But we’re almost a week in and there still are no starting-caliber safeties on the roster. I’m sure there’s a plan but it remains a question mark until players are signed.
How is Robert Griffin III doing? In great contrast to the last two off seasons, we haven’t heard much from or about Griffin this year. He has been working out since returning from vacation a few weeks after the season was over. Is he “ahead of schedule” for getting ready for the season? Are there any lingering aftereffects of the knee injury?
Will Orakpo sign his tender? This will not become a big subject until offseason workouts approach. Those get underway in less than three weeks and unless Orakpo signs his tender he will not be under contract and can’t attend. So far he hasn’t given any indication one way or the other.
What’s the offense like? When those workouts start on April 7, the players will line up and walk through the new playbook for the first time. They won’t be going up against the defense, since that is against the rules at that point. But they will get an idea of what the new offense, which if we believe what we’ve heard from Jay Gruden is an “all of the above” approach, will look like.
More changes on the O-line? It was thought that the offensive line would see one, maybe two new starters. Now the possibility that someone new will be at every spot to the right of Trent Williams is very much in play.
Like Real Redskins on Facebook! Timeline
—It’s been 79 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 173 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 20; NFL Draft 51; Training camp starts 127
In case you missed it
- Line shuffling may not be finished
- Report: Playoff expansion “when, not if”
- Redskins get some contract guidance with Monday deals
- Five reasons the Redskins haven’t signed your favorite free agent
Follow Us On Twitter
- Initial Trent Williams injury news is 'good,' per CSN source
- What should the Redskins do at running back?
- Effective in Detroit but lacking big plays, Kirk Cousins says 'I go where my reads take me'
- Did DeSean Jackson take a shot at Redskins' offense on Instagram?
- Redskins' loss leaves them in a muddled situation
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions by the numbers—Two firsts for Rob Kelley
- After quiet day in Detroit, Redskins Pierre Garçon says 'we always try to go deep'
- Vernon Davis tells 60 minutes about investment that burned dozens of NFL players
- Redskins will watch injuries to key players on both sides of the ball
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - After near storybook ending, heartbreak in Detroit