Mar 17, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
As free agency moves into its next phase prices for players start to drop and the Redskins may have received some guidance from deals given out this morning at two positions of need.
On area they are looking is at safety. Nate Allen re-signed with the Eagles for one year. His base will be $2 million and he has a chance to earn another $1 million in incentives.
Rotoworld had Allen No. 10 in their rankings of safeties who are or were free agents this year. He has been the Eagles’ regular starting safety since they drafted him in the second round in 2010 and his performance has been up and down.
Allen’s deal sets the bar. Now, if a safety who has been inconsistent over the years wants more than $2 million per year he needs to have some good reasons why (are you listening Brandon Meriweather?).
The other deal of immediate relevance to the Redskins is right tackle Zach Strief signing to remain with the Saints. His five-year contract is for $20.5 million with $8.4 million guaranteed.
Strief is 30 and after spending five years as a reserve with an occasional start he has been the Saints’ regular starter at right tackle the past three seasons. He’s solid but not great.
Donald Penn, who is visiting the Redskins, might have a case to make more than Strief, but not a lot more. Penn has a more substantial resume with 108 starts at left tackle and a Pro Bowl nod back in 2010. But the Redskins are looking for him to play right tackle so the premium paid to play on the left side won’t apply here. The Redskins will look to pay Penn as a right tackle in his 30’s and that’s just what Strief is.
So look for the Redskins to offer Penn perhaps a bit more than Strief got—five years, $22 million with $9 million guaranteed. We don’t have the details on Strief’s contract but it’s a pretty good bet the Saints will be able to get out of the deal with relatively little cap pain in two or three years. The same is likely to apply to Penn’s deal.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Who will the Redskins start at QB Monday night?
- Redskins Park notes and quotes--McCoy wouldn't trade his past experiences
- Gruden says what it'll take for RG3 to start Monday
- Gruden glad Skins picked McCoy up off the 'streets'
- Redskins' Murphy set to make 'huge leap' Monday night
- Kerrigan says he has to step up with Orakpo out
- Fantasy Football: Week 8 buy or sell?
- Gruden says he'll make final QB decision Thursday
- Redskins' McCoy: 'I’m just going to prepare as the starter'
- Gruden: RG3 taking reps in number of roles at QB spot