Need to Know: Five possible starters for the Redskins at center

Mar 15, 2014, 5:47 AM EDT

Kory-Lichtensteiger-action

Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, March 15, 23 days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.

Nickel coverage

The Redskins have cut Will Montgomery, their starting center since 2011. Who will play center for them in 2014? Here are five possibilities:

Kory Lichtensteiger—He is the favorite as of now. Gruden would prefer a bigger guard so Lichtensteiger could slide to center and newly acquired Shawn Lauvao will go into his guard spot.

Adam Gettis—The 2012 draft pick appears to be in the process of bulking up and he could be around 310 by the time the offseason program starts. He could be a good fit in he middle of the line and after two years on the bench he could be ready for a move to the starting lineup.

Kyle Cook—He was the Bengals’ regular starting center for every game that Jay Gruden was the offensive coordinator there (he did miss most of 2012 with a foot injury). He was released in a salary cap move earlier this week. There could be some interest in the 30 year old although none has been reported yet.

Marcus Martin—The USC product is among the top-ranked centers in the draft. He almost certainly will be there when the Redskins pick in the second round. Bryan Stork of Florida State was the Rimington award winner and could also be ready to start very early on.

Will Montgomery—This is very unlikely to happen but it can’t be ruled out completely. Perhaps they will try to bring him back at a salary lower than his $2.6 million number. Or they might ask him to come back in the event of an injury at some point.

—It’s been 76 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 176 days until they play another one.

Days until: Offseason workouts start 23; NFL Draft 54; Training camp starts 130

1. lpddawg - Mar 15, 2014 at 7:37 AM

I wouldn’t mind if they drafted one of those guys that was mentioned.It would take care of the position with a young guy and we would be set awhile.Seems like its been forever since the Skins had a top notch center.

2. scirishhoss - Mar 15, 2014 at 8:01 AM

I think the best move is just moving Kory to center, he knows the offense and has been solid. If the Skins can land RT Penn at the right price it would represent 3 upgrades along the line. Kory > Montgomery at C, Luavono > Kory at G, Penn > Polumbus.
    Getting a little off topic, Ryan Clark would be a solid addition but you would hope by mid-season that Phillips could take over. Clark at 35 doesn’t have much left but would be a welcome veteran addition to the weakest last line of defense in the NFL.
    Missing out on Thurmond (cancelled visit) really sucks… I view him as a starting corner.
    Owen Daniels would be a great compliment to Jordan Reed at TE at the right price.
    Anthony Spencer would be a total wild card addition to our pass rush. Should be cheap considering his injury issues.
    Why not re-sign Josh Wilson? He was effective in the slot and knows the defense. Hard working max effort player. If he’s your 4th Corner I think you doing pretty good.
    What do you think Rich?

• Troy - Mar 15, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Not sure what Rich thinks but you had me UNTIL you mentioned resigning Josh Wilson. He was absolutely horrible and we can do better than him with just about anyone……

• scirishhoss - Mar 15, 2014 at 10:51 AM

He did good vs the run and in the slot. As of right now we have Hall, Amerson, and Porter at Corner. He’d be the 4th guy. I think that is really good depth. Definitely if Hall or Amerson have to switch to safety at any point during the year. Signing him would likely be cheap and he’d still have to earn a job over young players. So for a competition standpoint I like the idea.

3. shermanp79 - Mar 15, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Not surprised Montgomery was let go. I wouldn’t be surprised to see another OL guy go as well. It would be great if Gettis filled the role. They need to get something out of all the lineman or G Shanahan drafted. The line has options and I think they need another guy. I would prefer a guy with experience even if we draft a guy.It is important to make sure RG3 isn’t running for his life. Maybe one of the other young guys can develop this year at a position other than G. I don’t want to waste those guys, so if there is a way they can help that would be great. Then we can use our top couple of picks elsewhere.

4. kenlinkins - Mar 15, 2014 at 10:16 AM

The Center position has been the elephant in the room no one was talking about. Just moving Kory L to center still gives you a Center who does not anchor well on pass protection. Gettis is a total unknown at Center. We have the same O-Line coach, why didn’t he try Gettis at Center last year? I do not think the answer is on the roster yet which makes me wonder why GM Allen Cut Montgemery on Friday, was it to clear Cap room for a signing that didn’t happen. I am not sure that there are any NFL ready Centers sitting in the draft this year so IMO the Redskins will have to sign a Stop Gap guy and draft a Center (or OG who could move to Center) to start out the year to battle Kory L in training camp.

• manchild157 - Mar 16, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Probably going to be a slow transition from the zone running scheme Ken. The light weight oline(except Trent) I never liked, I prefer a power based run approach, Lich, we can only hope is the stop gap and next year he’s replaced.

5. internetcareer - Mar 15, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Would be thrilled if the Skins would pull the trigger on Martin with pick 34. Getting a future Pro Bowl center is nothing to make fun of. Obviously center is important or they wouldn’t cut Montgomery. If they don’t choose Martin in the 2nd round then a 3rd round alternative might be Travis Swanson from Arkansas. He’s a big ole’ boy and nobody is going to push him back into RG3 like they did with Monty.

6. lpddawg - Mar 15, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Maybe they got their eye on Erik Cook who was the Bengals center who was recently cut.He already knows Grudens system.Dont really know much about him though or how good he was.

7. lpddawg - Mar 15, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Sorry Kyle Cook not Eric.Didnt see Rich had mentioned him till after I had posted .

8. nomaan78 - Mar 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I would love to get Kelvin Benjamin or Allen Robinson in the 2nd round. I hope we can get Donald Penn at RT

WR’s

Garcon
    Benjamin
    Roberts
    Moss
    Hankerson
    Gettis

• skinsdiehard - Mar 15, 2014 at 12:44 PM

The 2nd rounder might be used on a SS and the 3rd rounder on a CB. Center is not a priority with Lich, Gettis, Tevita Stevens and LeRibeus already on the roster. They can get WR Cody Hoffman in the 4th round.

9. Kenneth Brooks - Mar 15, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Love Washington Redskins, Duke blue devils, Baltimore Orioles, notre dame football, washington wizzard

10. kenlinkins - Mar 15, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Well, there is a guy named Kevin Kowalski on the Redskins roster that is listed as a center. We signed him in Jan 2014 to a futures contract. He was an Undrafted Free Agent that was signed by Dallas and hang around for 2 years before being released. I do not anything about him but will keep an eye open for him in Mini Camp., but like I said earlier, I do not think the answer is on our roster yet.

• Rich Tandler - Mar 15, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I might have gotten to Kowalski if I’d listed the top seven or eight possibilities. I could be wrong but it’s hard for me to even see him on the 53 much less as a starter.

> >

11. timwillhidetimwillhide - Mar 15, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I like the Idea of Gettis at Center. If he puts on the weight like reported he is short and can easily get lower than the guy in front of him to anchor at the point of attack.

12. timwillhidetimwillhide - Mar 15, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Rich what is the Status of Bruce Campbell is he signed or what?????

13. Chris - Mar 15, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Somebody tell me why we haven’t gone and talk to Alex Mack Pro Bowl center Cleveland Browns. This guy is at the peak of his NFL careerand teaming him up with RG3 and Pro Bowler Trent Williams watching RG3’s blind side, add in Adams Gettis and Josh Leribus along with the new signing of O Lineman Bruce Cambell and Lavurno why not sure up the offensive line by adding the top center free agency…..Redskins please sign Alex Mack I dont care if u have to cut Corey 3 penalties a game Leightseger to free up cap space. Mack is a immediate upgrade to the Offensive

• Rich Tandler - Mar 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Thanks for the comment; I’m not approving the one in ALL CAPS, that’s discouraged here. Welcome to the site.

Cutting Stieger would not make enough space for Alex Mack. Cutting the entire O-line except Trent wouldn’t. Great player, but center is not a place I would put a bunch of cap money. And I haven’t noticed the Browns winning a lot more games than the Redskins lately, have you?

14. renobrad - Mar 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM

What is the latest word on the safety position. who are they looking at

• Rich Tandler - Mar 15, 2014 at 7:35 PM

We have no names but that doesn’t mean they’re not looking.

• murphsman - Mar 16, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Any clue why we haven’t signed Clemons yet?

• Rich Tandler - Mar 16, 2014 at 4:45 AM

Yes, I do. The organization doesn’t think he’s a fit for what they want to do. No interest in him.

> >