Mar 15, 2014, 5:47 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, March 15, 23 days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
The Redskins have cut Will Montgomery, their starting center since 2011. Who will play center for them in 2014? Here are five possibilities:
Kory Lichtensteiger—He is the favorite as of now. Gruden would prefer a bigger guard so Lichtensteiger could slide to center and newly acquired Shawn Lauvao will go into his guard spot.
Adam Gettis—The 2012 draft pick appears to be in the process of bulking up and he could be around 310 by the time the offseason program starts. He could be a good fit in he middle of the line and after two years on the bench he could be ready for a move to the starting lineup.
Kyle Cook—He was the Bengals’ regular starting center for every game that Jay Gruden was the offensive coordinator there (he did miss most of 2012 with a foot injury). He was released in a salary cap move earlier this week. There could be some interest in the 30 year old although none has been reported yet.
Marcus Martin—The USC product is among the top-ranked centers in the draft. He almost certainly will be there when the Redskins pick in the second round. Bryan Stork of Florida State was the Rimington award winner and could also be ready to start very early on.
Will Montgomery—This is very unlikely to happen but it can’t be ruled out completely. Perhaps they will try to bring him back at a salary lower than his $2.6 million number. Or they might ask him to come back in the event of an injury at some point.
—It’s been 76 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 176 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 23; NFL Draft 54; Training camp starts 130
In case you missed it
- Hatcher: ‘I’ve got it all, man’
- OT Donald Penn scheduled to visit Redskins
- Redskins sign kicker Jake Rogers
- Clark to Redskins fans: ‘You can unfollow me’
- Hatcher adds disruption to Redskins DL but for how long?
- Redskins release Will Montgomery
- The top five free agent tackle options for the Redskins
Follow Us On Twitter
- How Robert Kelley took the lead in Redskins backup RB race
- Several players injured in win over Bills
- Redskins use fantastic second quarter to beat Bills, 21-16
- Kirk Cousins recovers from sloppy first quarter, throws three TD's against Bills
- Morgan Moses is third key Redskin to exit game vs. Bills due to injury
- Redskins LB Ryan Kerrigan out after early injury vs. Bills
- Several key Bills are sitting out Friday's game vs. Redskins
- With Redskins pursuing new stadium, Dan Snyder named to NFL stadium committee
- Rex and Rob Ryan seen hanging out in Nationals jerseys
- Cowboys rookie Ezekiel Elliott spotted at marijuana dispensary in Seattle