Mar 14, 2014, 4:56 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, March 14, 24 days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
The Redskins are still looking for an upgrade at right tackle, here are the top five tackles on the free agent market as ranked by our friends at Rotoworld.
Donald Penn, Bucs—He was just cut by the Bucs yesterday after they signed Anthony Collins to be their left tackle. Penn turns 31 next month and he probably wants left tackle money. The conventional wisdom is that he’ll probably get it from their Raiders although Adam Schefter tweeted last night that the Redskins are interested.
Michael Oher, Ravens—I’ve talked about him in this space before. Bottom line, he’s not an upgrade over Tyler Polumbus.
Zach Strief, Saints—He’s an excellent pass blocker and he wants to return to the Saints. But they might not be able to fit him under their salary cap. This is one tackle who might not be looking for the big bucks that comes on the left side. At age 30, the Redskins might give a look but it would have to be a team-friendly deal.
Charles Brown, Saints—After battling injury most of his career, Brown was the Saints’ starter at left tackle to start the season. But he got benched late in the season and for the playoffs. Like Oher, I’m not sure he’s an upgrade.
David Stewart, Titans—The Titans cut him rather than paying his $6.4 million base salary this year. He’s been just OK for the last two seasons. At age 31 there is talk that he may retire, meaning that it will take a fairly hefty contract offer to persuade him to play. That is not coming out of Ashburn.
—It’s been 75 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 177 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 24; NFL Draft 56; Training camp starts 132
In case you missed it
- Redskins sign Dallas DL Hatcher
- Redskins sign backup DE Clifton Geathers
- Report: Redskins to sign LB Darryl Sharpton
- Report: Redskins agree to terms with CB Tracy Porter
- Redskins still have cap room to operate after opening deals
- Sproles traded but to Eagles, not Redskins
- Ryan Clark in town, ready to ‘do business’
- Five options for the Redskins at inside linebacker
Follow Us On Twitter
- DeSean Jackson throws out first pitch at Sunday's Nationals game
- Redskins have many options at tight end, but don't count out Niles Paul
- NTK: Redskins by the numbers—First down rushing woes must be fixed
- NTK: The Redskins week that was—Moss' top five, final word on Cousins contract
- Kirk Cousins has same odds of winning 2016/17 NFL MVP as Mark Sanchez
- Longtime NFL coach Dennis Green dead at 67; honored by Redskins great
- Eight Redskins recognized for offseason work
- Josh Norman hopes Odell Beckham Jr. circled his calendar
- Colin Cowherd again trolls D.C. athlete - but this time it's Kirk Cousins
- Redskins release veteran linebacker Hayward