Mar 14, 2014, 4:56 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, March 14, 24 days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
The Redskins are still looking for an upgrade at right tackle, here are the top five tackles on the free agent market as ranked by our friends at Rotoworld.
Donald Penn, Bucs—He was just cut by the Bucs yesterday after they signed Anthony Collins to be their left tackle. Penn turns 31 next month and he probably wants left tackle money. The conventional wisdom is that he’ll probably get it from their Raiders although Adam Schefter tweeted last night that the Redskins are interested.
Michael Oher, Ravens—I’ve talked about him in this space before. Bottom line, he’s not an upgrade over Tyler Polumbus.
Zach Strief, Saints—He’s an excellent pass blocker and he wants to return to the Saints. But they might not be able to fit him under their salary cap. This is one tackle who might not be looking for the big bucks that comes on the left side. At age 30, the Redskins might give a look but it would have to be a team-friendly deal.
Charles Brown, Saints—After battling injury most of his career, Brown was the Saints’ starter at left tackle to start the season. But he got benched late in the season and for the playoffs. Like Oher, I’m not sure he’s an upgrade.
David Stewart, Titans—The Titans cut him rather than paying his $6.4 million base salary this year. He’s been just OK for the last two seasons. At age 31 there is talk that he may retire, meaning that it will take a fairly hefty contract offer to persuade him to play. That is not coming out of Ashburn.
—It’s been 75 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 177 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 24; NFL Draft 56; Training camp starts 132
In case you missed it
- Redskins sign Dallas DL Hatcher
- Redskins sign backup DE Clifton Geathers
- Report: Redskins to sign LB Darryl Sharpton
- Report: Redskins agree to terms with CB Tracy Porter
- Redskins still have cap room to operate after opening deals
- Sproles traded but to Eagles, not Redskins
- Ryan Clark in town, ready to ‘do business’
- Five options for the Redskins at inside linebacker
Follow Us On Twitter
- Ranking the Redskins roster: 53-41
- Ranking the Redskins 2016 roster: 53-41
- Over/under: Josh Docton's rookie season with the Redskins
- Redskins position preview: Expectations for Scherff are sky high
- Need to Know: Luck's extension was no surprise to Redskins, Cousins
- How many tight ends will the Redskins carry on 53-man roster?
- Fact or Fiction: Redskins’ special teams units will continue to improve
- Josh Norman earns respect from peers, sets new 'Top 100' standard for Redskins
- A $20 million yearly average is now the floor for a Cousins deal
- Need to Know: Are the Cowboys the Redskins' biggest threat in the NFC East?