Mar 9, 2014, 5:57 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, March 9, two days before the start of NFL free agency.
Here are our five most popular posts from the week that was.
1. Five Redskins who could be cap casualties—The Redskins made some moves to clear up cap last week but there could be more coming.
2. Redskins add $3.2 million in cap room—This update on the team’s cap space contains a quick explanation of the Rule of 51; you should check it out.
3. Five ripple effects of the Orakpo tag—Nothing happens in a vacuum in the salary-capped world of the NFL. When you lock up $11.5 million of your cap space in one guy there are effects to other players.
4. Giants’ Joseph to the Redskins?—Plenty of speculation accompanies the lead up to free agency and one writer thinks that a Giants DL could wind up in Washington.
5. Redskins can’t create much more cap room—Yes, Redskins fans are interested in cap room. The team is running out of ways to create more of it.
The best of the rest from the week:
- Carriker, Rocca among five cut
- Report: Orakpo could hold out for long term deal
- Report: Redskins, Riley still far apart in contract talks
- Help wanted: Safety
- Point-Counterpoint: Was tagging Orakpo the right move?
- Early extension possibilities?
- Will Skins invest heavily at WR?
—It’s been 70 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 182 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Free agency starts 2; Offseason workouts start 29; NFL Draft 60
Follow Us On Twitter
- Jay Gruden joins STL to look ahead to Cowboys
- Orakpo injury becomes another big blow to Skins defense
- Gruden not ruling out RG3 this week
- Redskins' Gruden: Murphy must 'grow up very fast'
- Gruden on RG3's return: Robert has to be honest
- Gruden: McCoy will start for Redskins vs. Dallas if RG3 not ready
- For Redskins to match Peyton Manning numbers, go back to 1989
- Brian Orakpo apologizes to Redskins fans
- Fantasy Fix: Waiver wire not running on empty with Tre Mason
- Orakpo injury shuffles the Redskins' depth chart