Mar 7, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
It was just over a week ago that we heard that the NFL salary cap would be $133 million this year, somewhere in the vicinity of $140 million next year and $150 million in 2016.
Well, those future numbers could be growing already.
Mike Florio of our corporate cousins at Pro Football Talk said that the cap could jump to $145 million next year and up to $160 million in 2016, according to a source.
As Florio points out, this increase should not come as a big surprise. Big increases in TV rights deals kick in this year and since the cap is calculated on revenues from the previous year, the new contracts will add to the money available to spend on player salaries starting in 2015.
The Redskins will be happy to take any cap room that might be available down the road. For one thing, in 2016 Robert Griffin III will either be in the option year of his contract making in the vicinity of $15 million for the season or on a long-term contract that, depending on his performance, will pay him something between $15 and $20 million per year. A jump in the cap would be a good way to cover some of that expense.
In addition, the Redskins will have Trent Williams, Alfred Morris and Ryan Kerrigan slated to be free agents that year. And if they give Brian Orakpo the franchise tag again next year, they will have to make a decision on him in 2016 as well.
The Redskins will have a lot of tough decision to make in 2016 but if they do indeed have $27 million more to work with then than they do now it will make those decision a bit easier.
Follow Us On Twitter
- RG3 on sliding technique: 'I'll get better' (VIDEO)
- DE Hatcher will make team debut vs. Ravens (VIDEO)
- Ryan Clark: At this rate 'have to start 4:30 games at 7:30'
- Bubble battles: Royster, Rambo and Hocker (VIDEO)
- Redskins Park quick hits--Ex-QB Gruden couldn't slide either
- Gruden on Griffin sliding
- Redskins claim punter off waivers
- Jay Gruden: RG3 has got to get down to get up
- Barry Cofield (groin) sits out Redskins practice
- Jay Gruden names the Redskins starting middle linebacker