Mar 5, 2014, 4:43 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, March 5, six days before the start of NFL free agency.
Nothing happens in a vacuum in the salary-capped environment of the NFL. Here are five ripple effects from the decision to tag Brian Orakpo:
1. Ryan Kerrigan safe for now—As noted yesterday, Kerrigan prefers to play on the left side and with Orakpo on the team he will be able to stay there. But also, Orakpo being on the tag rather than on a long-term contract means that there is a chance for Kerrigan to stay past the 2015 season.
2. Michael Bennett and other edge rushers on the market will get paid—Six franchise and transition tags were handed out in the NFL this year and half of them went to edge rushers. In addition to Orakpo, Carolina’s Greg Hardy (franchise tag) and the Steelers’ Jason Worilds (transition) were taken off the market. That development is good for the likes of the Seahawks’ Bennett and the Bengals’ Michael Johnson as the lowering of supply in the market will increase demand for their services and, therefore, increase the dollars in their contracts.
3. More cap casualties—This already has been bad news for Sav Rocca and it will be for some other marginal veterans on the roster. Anyone with a cap number over the minimum could be in danger of being released to create more cap room.
4. Younger and cheaper—And on the other side of the coin, the $11.5 million in cap space that Orakpo occupies could prevent the Redskins from brining back free agent veterans like Reed Doughty and Darryl Tapp. Again, younger and cheaper players will be signed instead.
5. Heat is on Haslett—I wrote a post about this yesterday but it bears repeating. There simply will be no excuse for the defense not to be solid with the unit’s best player on the field.
—It’s been 66 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 186 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Free agency starts 6; Offseason workouts start 33; NFL Draft 64
In case you missed it
- Carriker, Rocca among five cut
- Redskins add $3.2 million in cap space with Tuesday’s moves
- What effect will Orakpo tag have on Kerrigan’s future?
- With Orakpo back, heat will be on Haslett
- Orakpo still hopeful of negotiating a long term deal
- Tag could complicate deal between Redskins and Orakpo
- Report: NFL exploring (much) longer extra point attempts
- Report: Orakpo could hold out for long term deal
- Five things you need to know about the Orakpo tag
Follow Us On Twitter
- Backup running back by committee for the Redskins?
- Knighton's decision to bet on himself impressed Redskins
- Comments of the Week: Who said what about RG3?
- Lack of ties to current players helps Redskins GM make evaluations
- Redskins Draft Countdown: Penn State safety Adrian Amos
- OPEN THREAD: No help for Redskins offensive line until NFL Draft?
- Redskins face high roster turnover again in 2015
- Why the Redskins might not want to trade down in the draft
- Rich Tandler talks RG3 as the starter on PFT Live
- NFL takes away draft pick from 2015 Redskins opponent