Orakpo talks remain stalled; what’s Plan B?

Feb 28, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT

Jackson-Kerrigan

The Redskins’ contract talks with Brian Orakpo remain at a standstill. The team has yet to make their outside linebacker a firm contract offer, according to the Washington Post. The deadline for using the franchise player tag on Orakpo comes this Monday at 4 p.m. and there is no indication that the Redskins are going to use it. That would greatly increase the chances that the Redskins will have to prepare for a future without their leading pass rusher for the last five years.

Although we don’t know what they will do, the best move might be to move Ryan Kerrigan, who was second on the team in sacks last year, from the left outside linebacker to the right side. That would put their best pass rusher on the blindside of right-handed quarterbacks.

Kerrigan would represent a minimal downgrade from Orakpo on that right side, arguably the most important position in a 3-4 defense. The issue would become replacing Kerrigan on the left side.

The only legitimate candidate who the Redskins have under contract at that spot now is second-year player Brandon Jenkins. The staff was very high on him last year but he played sparingly and is very much an unproven commodity.

They also could bring back Rob Jackson and/or Darryl Tapp. Jackson started 14 games on the right side in 2012 when Orakpo was out with an injury. He is good in pass coverage but does not provide much pass pressure. Tapp is solid against the run but he also is limited when it comes to pass rushing.

Another option would be to bring in somebody in free agency or the draft. But premiere pass rusher are expensive in free agency (if they weren’t the Redskins may have locked up Orakpo a long time ago) and, like most years, the draft is not loaded with them.

107 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. brianm0419 - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Locked up Orakpo long time ago!!! What? Rich you should be ashamed of yourself! What has Rak done to have been signed already? He’s been hurt and had the chance to sign him to an extention but chose to wait to see if he can stay healthy. Rak is not elite let’s get they clear and he’s not even in the top 15 as a pass rusher

• Rich Tandler - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Why in the hell should I be ashamed of myself for saying that? By “long time” I meant weeks ago, not months or years. If it wasn’t an eight-figure annual salary, it probably would have wrapped up by now.

Oh, and welcome to the blog. I try to treat everyone with respect, I’d appreciate the same out of the commenters.

• ordiggs - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Let him walk 39.5 sacks in five years, he is an average player and organization see this, not good business. This why the skins should let Rak walk:How in world skins fans should be nervous , he is an average player .The fan base should not be scared of losing him , there are some good FA’s here (ie) Matt Shaughnessy 6:5 280Arz,Michael Johnson Cin 6:7 270 who you could convert to a 3/4 OLB, Brandon Spikes 6:3 265 NE. You can get these players alot cheaper and have better production and they are faster and more explosive along with being stronger than Rak. The fans should be rejoicing and organization again stop operating out of fear, sign one these FA’sand resign Rob Jackson and continue to coach up brandon jenkins. Now we have gotten bigger and better at OLB continue your player Development that’s how you strengthen your roster 43-53. Can’t allow an average player to hold entire organization hostage and eat up 1/3 of the cap space. The only way you franchise him is if some one wants to sign him , then franchise with exclusive rights pending a conditional draft pic this yr. Now you have filled hole more effectively with better production, now you can go out and get a quality #2 Wr via FA or the draft along with a quality free safety and your Oline via FA. If Rak gets this franchise tag or a long term pay day all bets are off and organization has bounced a big check.

• Rich Tandler - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:31 PM

“You can get these players alot cheaper and have better production and they are faster and more explosive along with being stronger than Rak.

Other than being cheaper, the rest of that is absolute nonsense. If you want to let Rak walk, fine. Just live in the real world and realize that his replacement is highly likely to be an inferior player, probably a highly inferior player. Those are just the facts.

> >

• ordiggs - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:04 PM

No Rich You are nonsense when ever comment on your blog regards to Rak, The sports fix, the locker room ,and thedrive with chris cooley say let him walk . You walk around like you are best keep secret but you are on Gilligans Island , oh let me guess you validate Rak as being eite via profootball focus now that nonsense. You have people on these sports shows who have played in the NFL state let him walk if the contract demands exceed 8million. You entitled to your opinion, just like you are entitled to have a hole your head. Let some idiot owner give him a pay day god bless him, but the skins are on a budget and many holes to fill. Michael Johnson of Cincy would be an excellent fit and people close him states he wants stand up and runs a 4.5 40.

• Rich Tandler - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Apparently you can’t learn to play nicely in the sandbox. This is not Extremeskins. Hope you enjoyed your brief visit here, you’re banned.

• ordiggs - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:09 PM

This is awesome news that no news on the Rak contract talks organization see an average player. the fan base prays this is it !

• alextwrs - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Ordiggs no matter what your opinions are, do it with some style. Rich is doing his job and is more adept to an educated opinion than most of us. He takes stances because he has too, and is looking at the big picture. I dont agree with paying him elite money but you cant get beligerent.

• shermanp79 - Feb 28, 2014 at 7:21 PM

You have NO CLUE what you are talking about. Go look at the numbers and compare them. He is young and drafted by us and we should want to sign him.

• Rich Tandler - Feb 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Hey, brother, let’s calm down here. Just a difference of opinion.

> >

2. rtcwonrtcwon - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Isn’t no news good news? Especially with this org?

I had wanted to blame Tony Wyllie for all the disruptive leaks but with the lack of any since the departure of Shanny, I guess I stand corrected.

3. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Bring back Rob Jackson, have him and Brandon Jenkins fill the vacated OLB spot, sign Alex Mack as our new center.

NO CHARGE FOR THIS ADVICE!!
    ~

• alextwrs - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:39 PM

GET ALEX MACK, this guy is LEGIT. Dont forget about Dqwell!!!!!!!!

4. brianm0419 - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Please Rich, been locked Orakpo up! He stays hurt for starters. Had the chance to extend him and chose not to do to injury. Why pay him all of that money when he’s not even a top 15 pass rusher! What are you looking at on Sundays? Orakpo is good at average not elite. He’s not worth the money he is asking for. If they had of signed him already to tie that kind of money up with one player you would still have something negative to say about the organization

• Rich Tandler - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I do watch on Sundays. Perhaps you should read more of what I write every day before jumping into the comments. Or perhaps just read the post you’re commenting on, at least.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Well that’s a tough one, Rich.

Here you have someone yelling at you while repeating things that you have written yourself (“Orakpo is good at average not elite”).

Hell is other people.
        ~

• Rich Tandler - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Don’t get this at all. Please show me where I said Orakpo is “average” and/or where I said he was “elite”. And I was reacting to being told I should be “ashamed” of something I wrote.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I was trying to recall this post from memory.

And I was agreeing with you, by the way. You don’t have anything to be ashamed of, what you’ve written is spot on.
          ~

• Rich Tandler - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Apologize for misunderstanding you, my man! Thanks.

5. hogforlife - Feb 28, 2014 at 3:45 PM

We should not let Brian walk. The people saying that dont know football. He is due another huge year. He’s had time to heal and play healed and know that he’s going to be ok doing so. Anyone that might take his spot won’t be half the player he is and if they are they will suck up too much cap space. The Redskins should just franchise him and really need to be looking to resign Perry Riley to a long term deal and find a replacement for his spot. I think a draft pick could be the answer or the young guy out of Texas we drafted. Can’t think of his name.

• shermanp79 - Feb 28, 2014 at 7:25 PM

If you are talking about Jenkins??? I think he came from Florida State? Could be wrong.

• Mac McCandies - Mar 1, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Keenan Robinson LB drafted from Texas.

• abanig - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Keenan Robinson is an inside linebacker, not outside linebacker. He hasn’t played since Thanksgiving Day of 2012 when he tore a pec muscle for the first time, and then before training camp even started in 2013, he tore the other pec.

And this is your answer to replace Orakpo?

Keenan can’t even stay healthy enough to be a reserve inside linebacker and special teams player.

He doesn’t have the size, strength, durability nor pass rushing skill to replace Orakpo

• mac7163 - Mar 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM

I wasn’t saying Robinson could replace Rak a blogger couldn’t remember his name and I was answering him. Also aware of position. I do belive if tagged it would be over priced.

6. sheltonshow - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Rich,

If no deal can be reached by Monday, the Redskins need to franchise tag Rak. As you know this team is short on talent especially on the defensive side of the ball. I know his injury history but Rak is no malingerer, his injuries are also not the career ending types.

We need to commit our resources to players with this type of character and abilities.

HTTR

7. ScottLo - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I wouldnt miss him. The way I see it, we havent won anything with him starting, and when we did in ’12, he was shelved for the year. Why break the bank for someone who is average at best. Move on ‘Skins…..

• alextwrs - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Jenkins. Let him play!

• rlkmwyatt - Mar 1, 2014 at 8:33 AM

exactly, If I remember correctly Orakpo played most of the season in 2013 and 2011 and missed almost all of 2012. Redskins D for 2011 and 2013 was the bottom of the barrel and in 2012 they were around 15th-18th in the league. Although I do believe Rak to be the type of player (hard working and does not get into trouble) the Redskins need I do not believe him to be a show stopper.
      If he needs 11 million plus he needs to go.

• Rich Tandler - Mar 1, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Hi, and welcome to the site. Thanks for chipping in on the discussion but you have it exactly backwards. Redskins were 28th in total D the year Orakpo missed, and were 13th in 2011, with Rak, and 18th last year with Rak. This stuff is really pretty easy to look up, if you’re going to base your argument on it you might want to check.

Not trying to be a jerk but just suggesting you have your facts straight so we can engage in informed discussion.

• rlkmwyatt - Mar 2, 2014 at 12:04 AM

2011 they were 21st, 2012 they were 22nd and in 2013 they tied for 30th in points given up. But the botom line is I trust the the management will make a good decision and on Monday another discussion concerning Mr Orakpo will be started.

• abanig - Mar 1, 2014 at 8:49 AM

2011 the defense wasn’t the problem. With Orakpo leading the way the defense was tied for 10th in the league in sacks with 41. They were also 12th in pass defense in large part because of their consistent pass rush.

Since Carriker’s injury and Rak’s injury in 2012, the pass rush hasn’t been the same, Carriker’s absence the last two seasons has created a pass rushing void from the left defensive end position.

Everyone always points to the 2012 season and how we run without Rak. While true, you really need to study why we won. We won because our defense played better team defense. We won because our offense played better ball control (unlike 2009-2011&13) and we won because RG3 had one of the best rookie Qb seasons in NFL history.

8. skinspride247365 - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Rich I’d like to apologize for the obvious “fans” who’ve CLEARLY miss about 3 and a half quarters of every game over the past four seasons smh. To call Rak City average is just silly, really first people need to understand he does not rush the passer as much as your yearly sack leaders do (D.Ware, V.Miller) yet still posts very respectable sack totals. He is leaps and bounds better against the run then when he first came into the league, remained healthy for the most part this year and is a loyal redskin who wants to be apart of our future greatness. No plan B needed overspend slightly but do not break the bank, Orakpo belongs here. The fact his physical attributes were questioned baffles my mind lol hes a freak speed/STRENGTH guy unmatched by most at his position. HTTR

• jorance72 - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Most of the posts I’ve read, have him as an above average LB, but not Elite. I myself would prefer us in a 4-3 and have Rak and Kerrigan as DE’s. We’re not changing though, so it is what it is. I think most of us would like him back, but don’t want to overpay. If we’re in re-building mode, does it make sense to keep him at 10 mil/season, when we have so many other needs?

• skinspride247365 - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:15 PM

no……but thats if you think were rebuilding! lol you dont win a division a year ago with the same roster and need to rebuild it only a year later. Less drama, healthy RG, a team restocked by the draft and above $30 mill of new toys, and above all a new voice to lead us sounds good to me. I understand as Skins fans we’ve dealt with this over and over but all arrows point up to me. (Side note your 4-3 suggestion is music to my ears, sadly in a perfect world we could of had something like this as our d-line orakpo albert worthless barry coefield ryan kerrigan would’ve been nice)

• jorance72 - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Great Points! I will throw this at ya though….In 2012 we got tons of breaks. The bounces all seemed to go our way and we dominated the turnover battle. In 2013, just the opposite. Look at how the Philly game started the Season. As you mentioned, RG3 coming back from injury, tons of drama, and another year of the 18 mil cap hit.

I’m as optimistic as they come and I definitely expect a better season. Until our Division gets stronger, worst to first is very possible!

HTTR!

9. jorance72 - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Hi Rich,

As I’ve mentioned in other posts, there’s really no mystery about this guy’s worth to the Team. We’ve gone without him before and there was no epic collapse. Rob Jackson filled in admirably and the addition of Jenkins should help in passing situations. While I don’t believe Jackson is as good as Rak, I think financially he makes more sense, given the Teams other needs. If we could get a FA Safety and O-Lineman for the same $ we would spend on Rak, then I do that every time. Is he a good player…yes. Is he a dominant player that commands double teams? No.

Honestly, I think that Kerrigan is a better all around LB. His sacks are pretty close to Rak’s and he has way more forced fumbles. If it’s truly an advantage to be rushing from the QB’s blind side, then I would assume that Ryan’s sack totals should increase with a switch to Right OLB. Just my opinion.

• jorance72 - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Either way, I hope the guy stays healthy! Hopefully the Pec tear issue is behind him, along with K Robinson. Really looking forward to seeing what he can do when he gets some playing time!

• skinspride247365 - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:46 PM

You have a couple valid points my man but rushing from the left side you go up against the opposing teams best lineman. Without pressure even the best secondary is exposed eventually, its easier to live with top edge rushing and slighty above average secondary then the latter

• jorance72 - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Good point…didn’t consider going up against a LT vs a RT! Thanks

10. skinsfanfromvt - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Rak is the pass rush point blank. He would have so many more sacks if he wasn’t constantly getting held. He is explosive and just needs to work on some counter moves which can be developed. Kerrigan is better with him and imagine how bad the secondary will look with no pass rush at all. If they can’t sign him long term then they have to tag him. Everyone seems to think the grass is greener on the other side untill they get there.

• jorance72 - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:51 PM

My point was that we’ve already been on the other side. I understand your point about Kerrigan being better with Rak on the other side, but I looked up the numbers. He’s the same with or without Rak. 2012 – 8.5 Sacks, 2013 – 8.5 Sacks.

• skinspride247365 - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM

That means that he is just consistent regardless of whose on the other side, it does not mean 8.5 sacks is all we need. Everyone attaches for some reason our success in 13 and orakpo’s absence, that defense simply made big plays down the stretch feeding off the momentum of our offense. Do you have suggestions for a replacement? And please no more rob jackson or jenkins name drops lol

• jorance72 - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Agreed, but your comment was that “Rak is the pash rush point blank”.

I don’t attach any connection to our success in 2012 with Rak being gone. I would have loved for him to have been on the field! Our best Defense that season was a good Offense. RG3 and Morris kept the chains moving and the opposing Offenses off the field. With a crappy Offense in 2013, usually going 3 and out in our 1st half drives, the opposing Offenses had their way with our D.

Also, I’m not saying that Jackson is a like for like replacement. He’s not as good as Rak. No argument there. Just that he’s decent and could be used in a rotation with Jenkins.

• jorance72 - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Please understand skinspride, I like Rak and would love to have him back, BUT…since money IS an object and we have lots of holes to fill, I’d rather spend the money elsewhere. Just sayin

• skinsfanfromvt - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Ok. Point taken but what about the opposite OLB from Kerrigan in ’12 season. Rak had 1. Jackson had only 4.5 and C. Wilson had a half sack. Jenkins had 0 sacks in ’13 although limited playing time. So my question to you……Is that a viable pass rush in your eyes?

• skinspride247365 - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Orakpo only played a game and a half in the 12 season. lol

• skinsfanfromvt - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Jorance72, That was my point and I mispoke. I should have said that RaKerrigan is our pass rush point blank although I think Rak is the better pure pass rusher. We can ill afford to lose either one at any point in the near future IMO.

• jorance72 - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:29 PM

My thought is that replacing Rak (above average) with Jackson/Jenkins (average to good) AND being able to replace a bad Safety and Interior O-Lineman is better for us in the long run. I could be totally wrong here…just my opinion.

• skinsfanfromvt - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM

you are making my point skinspride

• skinspride247365 - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:32 PM

just so im clear skinsfanfromvt your point is that the pass rush opposite kerrigan is insufficient?

• skinsfanfromvt - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I think it is insufficient without Orakpo there.

• shermanp79 - Feb 28, 2014 at 7:27 PM

RAK is a much better pass rusher. Plus on R side RAK goes against LT that are much better than most RT.

11. acynicalscientist - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Rich i have a horrible feeling as usual there is no plan B

12. captblood3000 - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Tag him, I say. You can’t replace him in kind, and if another team signs him, the Redskins can use the draft choices. Even after paying Rak the franchise tag salary, the Redskins should have enough available money to patch the other holes on their roster to the level of serviceable. Two offensive linemen, a safety and a wideout in free agency, for starters. Then they can go into the draft and go Best Player Available in rounds 2 through 4, at least. And I mean BPA. I see people say that and then say “I’d go right tackle in round 2″, or cornerback, or whatever. That’s not BPA. They need talent first and foremost, and where there’s value in the draft, the Redskins need help. And in the late rounds, I hope they look for backups who can make a difference on special teams.

13. skinsdiehard - Feb 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Skins have options. They can re-sign Orakpo or pursue Worilds from the Steelers. Dee Brown might be available at #34…..very slgiht chance. Not signing Orakpo or Worilds would put in the team’s goal of upgrading at safety at risk. I was hoping that the 2nd round pick could be used on S Calvin Pryor or S Deone Bucannon.

14. Fly Ty 03 - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I agree he can & should be replaced before we pay him max money. Lets face it he is average at best. Health is always an issue with this guy.

15. mtreanor2 - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Hey Rich – Why does no one talk about the transition tag? If I understand it correctly, instead of receiving a 1 year contract at the average of the top 5 of his position, he would get the average of the top 10. And Instead of receiving draft picks if someone else signed him, we’d just get 7 days to match or let him go.

Seems like a much better idea than the franchise tag if they’re worried about giving him too much.

• Rich Tandler - Feb 28, 2014 at 5:33 PM

It’s out there but nobody uses it. The money is a bit less but the difference isn’t worth the lack of compensation.

I believe the last time it was used was G Steve Hutchinson from SEA to MIN. Offer was loaded with poison pills and was impossible for SEA to match. Might as well either let him walk or pony up another couple of million for the franchise tag.

16. Mac McCandies - Feb 28, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I feel if Rak wants to get a deal done and this is where you want to be he will do what it takes . Allow your team to get better and fill the holes on your team through quality Free Agents and the upcoming draft. Dont hold them hostage and eat up the cap money. Allow them to adress the issues on the line both sides, wr, and secondary.

17. cowboyhater - Feb 28, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I’m assuming this is what they call posturing between mgmt, and agent to try to get the best deal in place. If they don’t use the tag, he will probably wait till FA to find his value in the market. Can’t blame any of these players wanting to get the best deal they possibly can, plus that’s why they hire agents. Hopefully we can get him locked up to a 4-5 year deal contract that is fair for everyone involved. Don’t like the prospect of asking Kerrigan to be your main pass rusher, and not sure if he even has ever played on that right side, so I’m not sure if that would work out. Hopefully the skins get the deal done, or risk losing to the Cowboys, who will need to fill the void Ware will leave. Ugh!!

18. Delvin Perkins - Feb 28, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I like Rak but I say let him walk because after the season we need to get Kerrigan done can’t wait until the last year it costs a lot more. I say sign Raji, Shields from GB and Jackson from Cleveland. Resign Riley

19. kenlinkins - Feb 28, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Well Rich, Maybe the Redskins didn’t want to give him a price to shop over the week end, maybe they figured to TAG him all a long, Maybe they don’t think he is that good, Maybe they feel Jackson and Jenkins can do the job, Maybe they see someone in the Draft who is a better deal or a Free Agent! The only thing I know for sure is that THIS is not the Same Old – Same Old Washington Redskins! Like I said before, This is going to be a very interesting Off Season. Hey maybe Coach Shanahan did run everything before and now GM Allen is doing it his way! Your thoughts!

20. skinsfanfromvt - Feb 28, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Greg Hardy just tagged by Panthers for $13 million at DE position which puts them in a salary cap pinch proving that there thought is that you can’t overpay for a decent pass rush, especially seeing that Johnson makes $16 million at the other end of thier D line. I would argue that Rak is right around the same level of pass rusher as Hardy. Tag him or sign him please!

21. ajbus1 - Feb 28, 2014 at 8:06 PM

To everyone saying Orakpo isn’t worth it: you’re nuts!! You don’t just simply replace players of that caliber and you always bring back your best players. He doesn’t have to lead the league in sacks to be a top LB, he contributes in many ways. Why is everyone so worried about overpaying him when none of us have any clue what kinda money he’s looking for? The fact that he doesn’t lead the league in sacks ensures that he won’t be paid too much. He’s not gonna get Clay Mathews money so stop worrying about it. Besides, no one even knew the actual salary cap until this evening. That makes a big difference! Bruce Allen is here to make fair contracts happen while keeping key guys. Orakpo WILL be back next year even if they have to tag him, you can bank on it.

22. abanig - Feb 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Orakpo is the best pass rusher the team has seen since Ken Harvey 20 years ago. There are only 3 other pass rushers to have double digit sacks in the lady 20 years besides Orakpo:

1994: Ken Harvey
    2000: Bruce a Smith
    2009: Andre Carter

Not retaining Rak is idiotic. It’s preposterous to think we can replace his production with a 3 headed monster of Brandon Jenkins, Rob Jackson and Darryl Tapp.

It also again sends the old bad message we had to our free agents last decade like Pierce, Clark, Harris, Demetric Evans, and Carlos Rodgers that we won’t keep our best players when they have a good to great year for us.

If we don’t franchise him, or transition tag him and match his offer when he gets one, we’ll regret it for a while. We’ll also create an unnecessary hole.

If we don’t franchise Rak, I advise to do what Rich proposed and move Kerrigan to the right side. Instead of going with Jenkins, Jackson and Tapp at Lolb, I’d sign Jason Worilds to start at Lolb and still try to re-sign Jackson and Tapp.

23. redskins4life1 - Feb 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM

We should attempt to keep Rak at a reasonable rate. I’d say about 5 years at 10 mil per season, but 2 mil of the 10 mil being incentives say if Rak obtains 15+ sacks, 90+ tackles and pro bowl. If he meets the incentives each year, then I wouldn’t have a problem paying him 10 mil per season. If Rak is expecting 9-10 mil base salary, then I definitely say let Rak test the market an if doesn’t resign, then move Kerrigan over and replace Kerrigan with Jackson. Sign and slide Riley over and replace with FA. We have too many other holes i.e. o-line, corner and both safety positions to replace which is why we shouldn’t pay Rak 9 mil plus a year unless he earns it. If Rak does test the market, I just hope to god he doesn’t end up with the Eagles, Giants or Cowboys.

• abanig - Mar 1, 2014 at 8:55 AM

If the Redskins don’t retain him, a small part of me does hope he stays in the division. Just like Pierce did and see Rak stick it to Dan Snyder and the fans who doubt him.

Dallas does seem like a likely destination should they cut Ware.

If that happens, we could always sign Ware for cheaper than Rak as we develop Brandon Jenkins.

24. aprilwalker2013 - Feb 28, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Starting to get worried. We can’t replace the entire D!! Should keep the best player we have! HTTR

25. colmac69 - Mar 1, 2014 at 4:43 AM

If they tag orapko for 2014 then they will have him and kerrigan both out contract nxt yr….for me it makes sense to get orapko signed up on long contract (he b here nxt yr regardless) this yr then kerrigan nxt yr and u keep the most important parts of a 3-4 defense on board for foreseeable future…upgrade end positions and secondary this yr…..

• Rich Tandler - Mar 1, 2014 at 5:07 AM

Not true, the Redskins have an option year on Kerrigan at ~$4 million. Post later today to explain.

26. jayc21 - Mar 1, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Rich would it not be a bad idea to franchise Rak, and try to move him for 1st, 3rd this year and a conditional next year draft pick. He is above average with potential to be elite. what do you think the trade market would be on him? Is this a possible avenue?

• Rich Tandler - Mar 1, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Not ruling out a trade your hypothetical price is way more than the Redskins could get for Orakpo. A team isn’t going to give up a haul of draft picks AND a contract > $10 million per year for five years for him. Why wouldn’t a team just go get Worilds or Bennett and keep the draft picks?

Maybe they could get a second. But if they tag him it should be with the idea of keeping him or they at least have to be prepared to do so.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Mar 1, 2014 at 7:00 PM

That’s what I have Bin saying. Tag and Trade Him You can at least get a 1st round pick for him he is a top 5 DE. That would help more than letting him go and get a 3rd next year

27. coachemup1 - Mar 1, 2014 at 8:55 AM

This all just a load of nothing. Just a post to stir up non existent difficulties. No evidence they are going to franchise him. Also none that they don’t intend to. Talks have stalled. Says who from the Redskins. Could just as easily produce a contract today. Everyone doesn’t do their business in the press. That’s a good thing. If he walks, so what? He finally made it thru a season without injury. Plenty of sacks against second tier o lineman. Not so against the best.

28. coachemup1 - Mar 1, 2014 at 8:56 AM

11mill will get you two to three other starters. Up to him

• Rich Tandler - Mar 1, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Hey, here’s an idea. Why not get 53 players and just pay them all $2.5 million each (1/53 of the cap). That way no good players are taking any money away from mediocre players. All of the players are mediocre and you can sign a bunch of them. I mean, is any one player truly worth two others? Fill all of the needs with mediocre players, cut Trent and hire four bad tackles with that money. I mean, more is always better, right? The heck with Garçon, cut him and bring in 3-4 bad receivers in his place. Or two OK receivers. More is better. Who needs standout, Pro Bowl players? Just get a body to fill the need.

• abanig - Mar 1, 2014 at 9:45 AM

That’s socialism, the tea party would boycott! Lol

• kenlinkins - Mar 1, 2014 at 10:55 AM

That is called Boy Club Youth Football.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Mar 1, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Nobody is saying all that but why hurt the Team at other Positions to keep a guy that you can fill his production with Jackson, Tapp, or Jenkins. Especially when Rak is constantly hurt. You can’t keep all of your best players all the time so if you have other options don’t Hamstring your team to keep him.

• Mac McCandies - Mar 2, 2014 at 12:03 AM

If he wants to be with the team he will get a deal done . He also knows that money could bring in more players to fill holes in the offense and defense . Now the question is .Do you want to win Championships or do you want to get paid !? Its possible to have both but this off season and the cap space could change bring your team a championship.

• Rich Tandler - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Ah, here we got with the hometown discount angle. As if you would turn down millions of dollars to help out an employer who would cut you in a heartbeat if it suited his purposes. Please, these guys have short careers in a dangerous profession. It’s Rak’s job to play and get paid as much as he can, it’s the GM’s job to figure out how to build and pay the rest of the roster.

> >

• mac7163 - Mar 2, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Hey Rich , not an angle but angling. I’m fishing for free agents instead of over paying one player. No I wouldn’t turn down millions either but I wouldn’t say I want to be here I would work to make it possible . He is good not great . 11 mil no . I dont want them to over pay for good . Just a realist. The GM I hope will figure out they he can get more players for that money . Lavar Arrington left too.

• Rich Tandler - Mar 2, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Ah, because bringing in a bunch of players from other teams rather than keeping their own has worked so well for the Redskins, right?

• mac7163 - Mar 2, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Come on Rich , the players they have are not getting the job done either right !? Lets keep them so they can be 33rd in defense next year! Why not go get free agents . We have seen playoff and Super Bowl teams win because of free agency. I just don’t want them to overpay for a good player and get help where its needed. Sometimes you have to hit the RESET button !

29. coachemup1 - Mar 1, 2014 at 10:07 AM

A solid , player that is healthy ,and in the front door of the Pro Bowl is the 10 mill player. Not Rak. , not Garçon. As every current defensive player says he is a average one or a good two. But I like him and he is worth a good number. But again, not a front door Pro Bowl consideration. As far as your thinking, I understand the fantasy football logic but if you are going to pay. A multitude of players over 10 mill each they better be the guys putting points on the board in today’s NFL. Although a TRUE shut down corner is also a game changer. At LB it would have to be one of the top two in the league. Not a pretty good pass rusher when he is healthy that suffers in coverage . The idea that this team has several superstars it has to cover is ludicrous . 3-13 is 3-13. Stars carry teams. And I am as big of a fan as their is over the last 44 years and a season ticket holder

• rtcwon - Mar 1, 2014 at 1:10 PM

You’ve seen the league change a lot in 44 years but you still have a little catch up to do. Last year’s record is meaningless, in today’s NFL last to first is more common than repeating.

There are already 4 LB that make >$10M and those are old contracts – with the cap increasing 25% over the next few years, $12.5M is the new $10M so for your statement to be accurate it should read “at LB it would have to be one of the the top nine (9) in the league” – top two would be $15M in today’s numbers.

Fantasy football logic is how Orakpo is under valued, not enough stats or sports center highlights. Rich’s point is you pay your best players more than others, so letting Orakpo walk means you either pay Cofield or Kerrigan or another FA $10-$15M. Not paying anyone on D $10M or more is the fantasy.

I don’t understand why so many people get emotional about a per year contract average when it is not their money. The per year average of a contract does not even matter, the player cares about the up front and how much of the overall they’ll likely see, the team cares about the cap hits.

• Rich Tandler - Mar 1, 2014 at 2:29 PM

With some, it’s a case of not wanting to cut into a free agent shopping spree. With others, it’s a matter of seeing a guy every game, every play and all you can see is faults and warts. I guarantee you that if Orakpo played for the Chiefs that many of these folks who want no part of him would be screaming for Bruce to have Dan cut Rak a huge check.

And you’re right about cap inflation. We’re at the stage here where a player doesn’t have to be a transcendent star to get a $10 million average annual value on a deal. It’s crossing that line into eight figures that gets some peoples’ goats. You could sell a $9 million franchise tag salary on a $100 million cap easier than an $11 million tag on a $133 million cap.

I can guarantee that if he stays healthy that whatever deal Orakpo signs wherever he signs, it will look like he’s underpaid by 2017.

• abanig - Mar 1, 2014 at 3:44 PM

On top of that, last time I checked Rak has been a pro bowler, so you all can quit bringing that up as for part of your criteria that he NEEDS to do…

He’s worth the money, he hasn’t been an injury prone player. He had one injury that cost him a season, offenses must game plan for him, he constantly brings pressure and he’s been a consistent near double digit sack performer each year (except 2012) since we drafted him.

Can he be replaced? Sure everyone can be replaced but I don’t like the idea of downgrading our pass rush by not re-signing him (the main thing everyone complained about all season) so in my mind keeping him should be the teams #1 priority.

30. lorcanbonda - Mar 1, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Bruce Allen seems to be the type of guy who negotiates in private. I hope that’s the case. I can’t imagine that they have any intention of letting Orakpo go. If I had to guess, Orakpo’s agent is testing the financial waters with a sudden expansion in the Redskin’s salary cap.

The Redskins have no first round draft pick nor do they have any candidates in free agency who will be better than Rak. They have to want to sign him. I like Kerrigan, but he works better with Orakpo on the opposite side. In the mean time, Redskins need to focus on inside linebacker and secondary — that’s the only way out of dropping Orakpo in coverage way too many times.

I believe in Orakpo a lot more than Haslet.

31. abanig - Mar 1, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Next year the cap is expected to be 149 million and then, 150 million in 2016 when RG3, Trent and Alfred are free agents.

I got a good point here.

Do you all know what Trent Williams rookie deal was?

6 years, 60 million with 18.879 guaranteed….

If we can do that for a rookie LT, why can’t we do it for a top 10 pass rusher in the nfl?

• abanig - Mar 1, 2014 at 10:48 AM

* I mean next year the sap will be $140 million

32. Lex - Mar 1, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Move on hes not worth the money build thru the draft for less we went 10-6 without him

• Rich Tandler - Mar 1, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Yeah, and they were 28th in defense and one and done in the playoffs. Whoopie, what a powerhouse.

• colmac69 - Mar 1, 2014 at 4:04 PM

This must b longest post ever……orapko will b redskin in some form or another this yr…people nd to get that idea into their head….linebacking is not problem on the defense….thanks rich for clearing up kerrigan position

33. mlblogsbigatlanta - Mar 1, 2014 at 4:29 PM

There is just no way we can let this guy go, at worst you just franchise tag him and then continue to work on a new long term deal. Our defense is already full of holes why would they let him go and create the biggest hole of them all. This offseason should be about fixing the defense, not letting your best player walk…

34. timwillhidetimwillhide - Mar 1, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Tag and Trade Him

35. shamusliam - Mar 1, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Is anyone else worried that he is going to keep getting injured?

• abanig - Mar 1, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Why? Because he got injured once in 5 years?

36. internetcareer - Mar 1, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Love some of these folks on the radio who say “let him walk”. They have no plan to replace his sack total except…”let’s draft a guy”. Allen WILL franchise him. I have said it for 2 weeks and will stick with it as a 100 percent lock of the week. Here’s why: if Allen franchises him, some will say bad move…most will say decent move or only option. But if he let’s Rak go and he ends up with 14 sacks and a Superbowl Ring….well…you don’t want to even know what kind of crap Allen would get.

Peer pressure and Snyder pressure is a factor. BIG factor. To franchise is the lessor of 2 evils.

37. barrymoyer - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:42 AM

I must stop reading comments, particularly on sports blogs. It’s truly depressing to read the tortured efforts of so many to convey spittle-spewing rubbish. If you can’t be civil and if writing a comprehensible sentence is beyond your abilities, consider silence, for your own good as well as everyone else’s.

38. Areb - Mar 2, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Since I’m not in the front office I don’t know the exact jumpers Orakpo would receiver with the tag. I would assume the top priority is the o line and both safety positions. If signing rak jeopardizes wither of those positions I think u definitely have to look at letting him walk. He is a injury prone player who in my opinion does his best work against weak teams. Granite he gets a lot of holding calls against him I just don’t see him as that guy to sacrifice a premiere of lineman or Byrd at safety. Maybe even go get Jackson and dansby at MLB if that was a cap possibility

• abanig - Mar 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Again. Orakpo had one injury his entire 5 years in DC.

How is that injury prone?

And pass rushing is way more important than secondary play!

A good pass rush makes an average secondary look good, just look at Carolina’s D. One of – if not the best – front 7 in the NFL and that makes up for their deficiencies in the secondary.

39. kenlinkins - Mar 3, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Less than 5 hours away from knowing what the Redskins have planned for Orakpo. I wonder how long it will take before we get the news! This will allow us to know more about what GM Allen and Coach Gruden are thinking about doing with this team. Stand By Redskins Fans, Big News is on the way!

• abanig - Mar 3, 2014 at 12:00 PM

It’s already out. Ed Werder reported they’ll tag him if they can’t lock him up long term by 4.

I wrote and article about it

• Rich Tandler - Mar 3, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Werder said the Redskins seem prepared to use the tag. Thats a ways from will is it not?

Im waiting until something firmer comes in.

> >