Feb 28, 2014, 4:55 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, February 28, 11 days before the start of NFL free agency.
With the Brian Orakpo and Perry Riley contract situations, we have been talking an awful lot about linebackers lately. Here are the Redskins’ five best linebackers of the past 20 years as determined by their Approximate Value.
1. London Fletcher (2007-2013), AV of 73—This comes as no surprise as Fletcher led the team in tackles almost every year he was in Washington and he landed four Pro Bowl spots.
2. LaVar Arrington (2000-2005), 49—Few in team history have been such shooting stars. After three straight Pro Bowl appearances, from 2001-2003 he started just 10 more games in part due to injury and in part due to reasons nobody is quite sure of.
3. Ken Harvey (1994-1998), 46—Proof that the Redskins can sign a free agent and see him play as well as he did with his previous team. Harvey signed with Washington after six years with the Cardinals and made four straight Pro Bowls and racked up 41.5 sacks.
4. Marcus Washington (2004-2008), 42—Another free agent who worked out, Washington was the heart and soul of Gregg Williams’ tough defensive units during the Gibbs 2.0 era.
5. Rocky McIntosh (2006-2011), 37—Yeah, I was kind of surprised by this, too. But things did not end well for him here in a year and a half playing out of position at the Jack inside linebacker spot. In three seasons at a starter at outside linebacker he was quite competent as he averaged 64 tackles a season and recorded five sacks and three interceptions.
Next five: Brian Orakpo, Marvcus Patton, Derek Smith, Lemar Marshall, Ryan Kerrigan.
—It’s been 61 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 191 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Free agency starts 11; Offseason workouts start 38; NFL Draft 69
In case you missed it
- Baker is back
- Redskins free agent fits: Backup quarterback
- Redskins sitting with over $30 million in cap room
- Will the Redskins have to overpay to keep Perry Riley?
- Are the Redskins and D’Qwell Jackson a good fit?
- Redskins stay or go: Safety Reed Doughty
- The top five free agents the Redskins could sign
Follow Us On Twitter
- DeSean Jackson on beating NYG: 'They said we couldn't do it'
- Cousins: 'It's great to have meaning football now in December'
- Dashon Goldson's leadership key in Redskins win over Giants
- Best of Redskins Kickoff and Postgame Live: Week 12
- Despite penalties, Jordan Reed comes up big for the Redskins
- Gruden on Cousins: 'Everybody looks up to him'
- Redskins TE Carrier day-to-day with ankle, Achilles injuries
- After important win over Giants, Joe Barry hit a hard postgame 'whip'
- Chris Baker's sandwich, 'The Swaggy Melt,' to debut at Harris Teeter
- A 3-2 finish could be good enough for Redskins to win the NFC East