Feb 24, 2014, 5:21 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, February 24, 15 days before the start of NFL free agency.
Here are Alfred Morris’ five best career games in terms of yards gained rushing.
1. Week 17, 2012 vs. Cowboys—If Morris retired tomorrow he’d have a permanent place in the hearts of Redskins fans for this game alone. With Robert Griffin III slowed by a knee injury, Morris took the team on his back, rushing for 200 yards and three touchdowns as the Redskins won to take the NFC East.
2. Week 10, 2013 @ Vikings—This is the only loss on this list. Morris rushed for 139 yards and the Redskins built a 27-14 third-quarter lead. They couldn’t hold on and lost 34-27.
3. Week 14, 2012 vs. Ravens—This game is remembered mostly for the final drive, when Kirk Cousins took over for Griffin and passed for the TD to put the game into over time, and the extra period when Richard Crawford’s put return set up the winning field goal. But in the first 58 minutes of the game, Morris helped keep them in it by rushing for 129 yards and a touchdown.
4. Week 13, 2012 vs. Giants—A week before the Ravens game the Redskins played a Monday night game against the Giants and Morris rushed for 124 yards. The most important yards came in the fourth quarter. He wasn’t spectacular but his 20 yards on seven carries after the Redskins took a one-point lead early in the period ran clock and moved the chains.
5. Week 9, 2013 vs. Chargers—Darrel Young was the definitive touchdown vulture in this game, scoring on runs of 1, 1, and 4 yards after Morris’ 121 yards rushing helped the team get close.
Bonus stat: I came across this while looking up the numbers here—In 12 career games vs. the NFC East, Morris has 1,119 yards rushing. That’s a 16-game pace of just shy of 1,500 yards.
—It’s been 57 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 195 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Free agency starts 15; Offseason workouts start 42; NFL Draft 73
In case you missed it
- Gruden says Orakpo is “the top priority for us”
- Mock draft, D-Hall talk among Redskins top 5 stories
- Report: NFL salary cap to reach $132 million
- Report: Bills will franchise Byrd
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins will benefit the least from Richardson, McClain and Hardy suspensions
- Even after free agency, Redskins Super Bowl odds still get worse
- Ryan Kerrigan gives update on knee after surgery
- Redskins preseason Q&A: Which rookie will have the most impact?
- Redskins position preview: Quarterback
- Is DeSean Jackson's new reality show a distraction?
- NBA free agency causes Redskins safety to speak up
- Why did the Redskins struggle on third down in 2014?
- Redskins offseason Q&A: Who will be the third down back?
- No need to rush to judgment on Redskins' RG3