Feb 22, 2014, 5:09 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, February 22, 17 days before the start of NFL free agency.
The Redskins have the 34th pick in the NFL draft, which starts May 8. Here are the last five players taken at No. 34 overall:
WR Justin Hunter, TEN, 2013—The 6-4 receiver out of Tennessee got on the field for 14 games last year. Hunter caught 18 passes but he gained 354 yards for an impressive 19.7 yards per catch and four touchdowns. It is likely that the Titans will have plans to get his hands on the ball more often in 2014.
TE Coby Fleener, IND, 2012—Many Redskins fans have a soft spot for Fleener as his full first name is Jacoby and he was named after an original Hog, Joe Jacoby. After a decent but fairly quiet rookie year he became one of Andrew Luck’s in 2013 with 52 receptions for 608 yards and four TD’s.
DB Aaron Williams, BUF, 2011—Williams was one of the better and most valuable defensive players for the Bills last year. He started games at both cornerback and safety for the Bills in 2013 and picked off four passes.
DB Chris Cook, MIN, 2010—Injuries and some jail time for a domestic assault case have limited Cook to 29 starts in four seasons with the Vikings. He has yet to record his first career interception.
DB Patrick Chung, NE, 2009—Chung never gained traction with the Patriots after being drafted out of Oregon. He started 13 games at safety in 2010 (most of them alongside Brandon Meriweather) and picked off three passes, returning one of them for 96 yards and a touchdown. But he was in and out of the lineup after that and the Patriots let him walk to the Eagles last year.
(Had I gone back one more year, this list would have included the last player the Redskins took with pick No. 34, wide receiver Devin Thomas.)
—It’s been 55 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 197 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Free agency starts 17; Offseason workouts start 44; NFL Draft 75
In case you missed it
- Handcuffs off Haslett, pressure’s on
- Redskins stay or go: Linebacker Perry Riley
- Allen: Redskins, Orakpo’s agent to meet in Indianapolis
- Bruce Allen calls Fred Davis’ arrest “disappointing”
- Report: Redskins won’t trade Cousins
- The 5 top single seasons by a Redskin in last 20 years
- Gruden confident RG3 will rebound from “humbling” 2013
Gruden talks RG3, free agency
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Six Redskins under pressure against the Bengals
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently
- Redskins preparing for A.J. Green - with or without Josh Norman - 'They show no fear'
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will Reed and Norman make the trip?