Feb 21, 2014, 4:50 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, February 21, 18 days before the start of NFL free agency.
Last week we used the Approximate Value metric to look at which Redskins were the most valuable in 2013. There is a link to more details on AV in that post if you want it. Today, there are the best single seasons Redskins players have had in terms of AV in the last 20 years (1994-2013).
QB Robert Griffin III, 2012, AV of 18—You thought it was the best season you’ve seen by a Redskin in a long time. You were right. He is the only Redskins quarterback ever to finish a season with a passer rating of over 100.
QB Brad Johnson, 1999, AV of 16—Johnson made the Pro Bowl and was the last quarterback to lead the Redskins to the division title before Griffin did it. With 4,005 yards passing that year Johnson is one of two Redskins to pass for over 4,000 yards in a season (Jay Schroeder, 1986, 4,109).
CB Champ Bailey, 2000, AV of 16—In just his second year in the league, Bailey earned the first of seven straight Pro Bowl berths (four with Washington). He had five interceptions and a fumble recovery for the fourth-ranked defense in the league.
G Tre Johnson, 1999, AV of 15—“The Banga” was at his road-grading best this season, protecting Johnson and helping to clear the way for Stephen Davis’ 1,405 yards rushing. It was the only season of his seven in Washington where he played 16 games and he earned his only Pro Bowl berth.
LB Marcus Washington, 2004, AV of 15—He was the only Pro Bowl representative on the third-ranked defense in the league. Washington, in his first year with the Redskins after coming over from the Colts as a free agent, had 87 tackles, 3 passes defended, forced one fumble and recovered one.
—It’s been 54 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 198 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Free agency starts 18; Offseason workouts start 45; NFL Draft 76
In case you missed it
- Redskins’ Fred Davis charged with DUI
- Under the radar Redskins: DB E.J. Biggers
- Is Munnerlyn a fit for the Skins?
- Redskins stay or go: Linebacker Rob Jackson
- Increase in cap would make tag for Orakpo more expensive
- Some details of DeAngelo Hall’s contract emerge
- Breakdown of top TEs
- Report: NFL salary cap will be near $130 million
- The five top rated QB’s the Redskins will face in 2014
Tandler talks free agency on Redskins Nation
Follow Us On Twitter
- Five things the Redskins can learn from the Broncos
- Bryce Harper meets Steph Curry at the Super Bowl
- Eli Manning does not look too happy for brother Peyton
- Lady Gaga's National Anthem sparks Super Bowl controversy
- Three key matchups in Super Bowl 50
- Can the Broncos pull off the upset? Some trends to watch
- Should Josh Norman be on the Redskins' free agent shopping list?
- Broncos' Jackson among free agents who may interest Redskins
- Redskins OL Stanfel gets Hall of Fame nod
- Why have the Redskins not been to the Super Bowl in 24 years?