Feb 19, 2014, 5:22 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, February 19, 20 days before the start of NFL free agency.
Here are five pending Redskins free agents (update: four plus one who just signed) who are more valuable to Washington than to any other team.
ILB Perry Riley— Riley is worth a premium to the Redskins not so much for his play on the field but more for what’s in his head. He has spent four years training to be London Fletcher’s successor calling signals in the middle of the defense.
WR Santana Moss—If the Redskins want him back it would be at least in part for his role as a steadying influence and leader in the locker room. Moss will be fine if he goes elsewhere but he wouldn’t have the same credibility with a new team.
CB DeAngelo Hall—Jim Haslett and Raheem Morris know what Hall can do and what he can’t do on the field. Off the field, his personality may not be a fit for every team out there but it works well with the Redskins. That’s why he was brought back for four years and between $4 and $5 million per year. He’s a fit.
S Reed Doughty—As with Hall, the coaches know his strengths and weaknesses well (even though circumstances often forced him to play outside of his areas of strength).
QB Rex Grossman—Even though the offense will change away from the Kyle Shanahan scheme Grossman has been in the last five years, Grossman is still valuable as a mentor for Robert Griffin III. The team may decide that their third-year QB doesn’t need his own counselor any more but if Grossman does stay that will be part of the equation.
—It’s been 52 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 200 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Free agency starts 20; Offseason workouts start 47; NFL Draft 78
In case you missed it
- D-Hall will return to Redskins
- NFL Mock Draft 2.0: Pre Combine
- Are the Redskins done at cornerback?
- Under the radar Redskins: DE Kedric Golston
- Redskins possibilities at No. 34: OT Cyrus Kouandjio
- Redskins free agent fits: Guard
- Could Orakpo be an Eagles free agent target?
- Redskins stay or go: WR Santana Moss
- The five top performing Redskins of 2013
Follow Us On Twitter
- Comfort level the key for Redskins' Smith as he looks for a big season
- Redskins' starting defense is sharp in small preseason sample of work
- NTK: The Redskins week that was—Roster bubble ready to pop for many
- Bryan Stork clarifies next move after days of speculation with Redskins
- Redskins cut 10 players before Tuesday deadline
- Reports: News encouraging for injured Redskins LB Ryan Kerrigan after MRI
- Cowboys fans biggest fear - Major injury strikes Tony Romo in preseason
- Former Redskins safety Dashon Goldson to work out with Falcons
- Ryan Kerrigan's early exit vs Bills shows Redskins lack of depth at edge rusher
- Redskins' Cousins both lucky and unlucky vs. Bills