Feb 19, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
With the signing of DeAngelo Hall to a four-year contract, the Bruce Allen-Jay Gruden Redskins made their first major move in a game of three-dimensional chess that stretches out several years in the future.
I wrote about the short-term implications yesterday. They are likely to start Hall and second-year player David Amerson at cornerback. An inexpensive veteran or two and maybe a draft pick will join the competition with Richard Crawford and Chase Minnifield for the nickel position and the other one or two cornerback roster spots.
That will set them up at cornerback for 2014. But Hall being back also has long-term implications at safety. He will play cornerback this year, at age 30, but in 2015 or 2016 it is likely that Hall will move over to safety. So the Redskins need to consider that when evaluating what to do this year at both safety and cornerback.
The Redskins may look more for a short-term solution at free safety knowing that Hall will be an option there down the road. If they lock up somebody like Jairus Byrd for five years, they may be wondering what to do with Hall when his skills are best suited to the safety spot.
They also need to consider a succession plan at cornerback. If the staff doesn’t believe that Crawford and/or Minnifield have the potential to start eventually, the best course of action might be to bring in a cornerback in the draft and groom him to take Hall’s place when he’s ready to go to safety.
Follow Us On Twitter
- New Redskins assistant Perry Fewell prefers DBs with specific build
- If Bucs release OT Collins, are the Redskins a fit?
- A major trade coming between Redskins and Eagles?
- Redskins stay or go: Safety Brandon Meriweather
- The Redskins aren't spending enough on player salaries--wait, what?
- Tandler looks at the best free agent RBs available for Redskins
- Gruden on what former Giants DC Perry Fewell will bring to Skins
- Gruden on what he learned in his 1st year as Redskins head coach
- Get to know new Redskins' O-line coach Bill Callahan
- Can the Redskins recreate the Hogs?