Feb 18, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
There are many Redskins fans who are willing to let Brian Orakpo walk in free agency. I wonder how they would like to see him in Eagles green.
The Birds 24/7 Eagles blog asked Brian Baldinger of NFL Network and of various outlets around Philadelphia to name three free agents who would be a good fit for the Eagles. Orakpo was at the top of the list.
“I think he’s just a solid outside linebacker,” said Baldinger. “I believe he’d be a great fit opposite Connor Barwin. He plays the run well, he’s strong at the point. I know in 2012 he got hurt but for the most part he’s been very durable. And when he’s durable he’s giving you 10 sacks or more a year and I think that’s what you’re looking at.”
Baldinger thinks that Orakpo and Barwin would combine to rack up 20 sacks if they were teamed together.
A side benefit to signing Orakpo would be that the move would simultaneously strengthen the Eagles while weakening their division rival, according to Baldinger.
Converted defensive end Trent Cole played most of the snaps at right outside linebacker opposite Barwin last year. It is unclear what they would do with Cole, who is signed through 2017 and carries a very reasonable $6.6 million cap number, if Orakpo came on board. But it’s a problem that defensive coordinator Billy Davis would love to have.
Follow Us On Twitter
- 5 stats you need to know for Redskins vs. Giants
- With big game looming, Gruden maintains consistent approach
- Few remain from the Redskins' last big game
- Culliver's up-and-down season ends on IR
- Fans, players pay respects on anniversary of Sean Taylor's death
- Redskins' home record a good omen
- Gruden discusses Redskins' plan to replace Culliver
- Full Redskins injury report: Two starters are questionable
- Landon Collins excited to play on the field where idol Sean Taylor once did
- Week 12 preview: It's a 'one game season' for the Redskins