Feb 18, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
There are many Redskins fans who are willing to let Brian Orakpo walk in free agency. I wonder how they would like to see him in Eagles green.
The Birds 24/7 Eagles blog asked Brian Baldinger of NFL Network and of various outlets around Philadelphia to name three free agents who would be a good fit for the Eagles. Orakpo was at the top of the list.
“I think he’s just a solid outside linebacker,” said Baldinger. “I believe he’d be a great fit opposite Connor Barwin. He plays the run well, he’s strong at the point. I know in 2012 he got hurt but for the most part he’s been very durable. And when he’s durable he’s giving you 10 sacks or more a year and I think that’s what you’re looking at.”
Baldinger thinks that Orakpo and Barwin would combine to rack up 20 sacks if they were teamed together.
A side benefit to signing Orakpo would be that the move would simultaneously strengthen the Eagles while weakening their division rival, according to Baldinger.
Converted defensive end Trent Cole played most of the snaps at right outside linebacker opposite Barwin last year. It is unclear what they would do with Cole, who is signed through 2017 and carries a very reasonable $6.6 million cap number, if Orakpo came on board. But it’s a problem that defensive coordinator Billy Davis would love to have.
Follow Us On Twitter
- VIDEO: McNabb throws out first pitch at Cubs game
- Enemy Intel: Can the Redskins contain Odell Beckham Jr.?
- How will Cavanaugh impact RG3?
- Week 1 backups who could become starters for the Redskins
- Redskins position preview: Cornerback
- The most overrated and underrated Redskins
- Redskins will benefit the least from Richardson, McClain and Hardy suspensions
- Even after free agency, Redskins Super Bowl odds still get worse
- Is play action a cure for Redskins' and RG3's problems?
- Ryan Kerrigan gives update on knee after surgery