Feb 18, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
There are many Redskins fans who are willing to let Brian Orakpo walk in free agency. I wonder how they would like to see him in Eagles green.
The Birds 24/7 Eagles blog asked Brian Baldinger of NFL Network and of various outlets around Philadelphia to name three free agents who would be a good fit for the Eagles. Orakpo was at the top of the list.
“I think he’s just a solid outside linebacker,” said Baldinger. “I believe he’d be a great fit opposite Connor Barwin. He plays the run well, he’s strong at the point. I know in 2012 he got hurt but for the most part he’s been very durable. And when he’s durable he’s giving you 10 sacks or more a year and I think that’s what you’re looking at.”
Baldinger thinks that Orakpo and Barwin would combine to rack up 20 sacks if they were teamed together.
A side benefit to signing Orakpo would be that the move would simultaneously strengthen the Eagles while weakening their division rival, according to Baldinger.
Converted defensive end Trent Cole played most of the snaps at right outside linebacker opposite Barwin last year. It is unclear what they would do with Cole, who is signed through 2017 and carries a very reasonable $6.6 million cap number, if Orakpo came on board. But it’s a problem that defensive coordinator Billy Davis would love to have.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Eagles fans invade Redskins game, take over stadium
- Redskins Pulse: RG3 has another chance as starter
- Trent Williams active, Keenan Robinson out
- Redskins draft prospect watch: Idaho Potato Bowl
- Redskins' challenge will be keeping Griffin upright
- Fantasy to believe Jackson rocks Week 16?
- Griffin, Redskins have a lot to prove vs. Philly
- Jason Hatcher out, Keenan Robinson doubtful for Redskins
- Redskins place Brandon Meriweather on IR
- Redskins draft prospect watch: New Orleans Bowl