Feb 18, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
There are many Redskins fans who are willing to let Brian Orakpo walk in free agency. I wonder how they would like to see him in Eagles green.
The Birds 24/7 Eagles blog asked Brian Baldinger of NFL Network and of various outlets around Philadelphia to name three free agents who would be a good fit for the Eagles. Orakpo was at the top of the list.
“I think he’s just a solid outside linebacker,” said Baldinger. “I believe he’d be a great fit opposite Connor Barwin. He plays the run well, he’s strong at the point. I know in 2012 he got hurt but for the most part he’s been very durable. And when he’s durable he’s giving you 10 sacks or more a year and I think that’s what you’re looking at.”
Baldinger thinks that Orakpo and Barwin would combine to rack up 20 sacks if they were teamed together.
A side benefit to signing Orakpo would be that the move would simultaneously strengthen the Eagles while weakening their division rival, according to Baldinger.
Converted defensive end Trent Cole played most of the snaps at right outside linebacker opposite Barwin last year. It is unclear what they would do with Cole, who is signed through 2017 and carries a very reasonable $6.6 million cap number, if Orakpo came on board. But it’s a problem that defensive coordinator Billy Davis would love to have.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins 2014 Schedule: Dates, times, TV info released
- We (reportedly) have 1/8 of the Redskins 2014 schedule
- Redskins Pulse: NFL schedule released
- RG3 will drive at RIR on Saturday
- Who will assume Fletcher's leadership role on the Redskins?
- Draft chatter: 30 players invited to NFL draft in New York
- OPEN THREAD: Where does Alfred Morris rate?
- NFL schedule release date announced
- Five players the Redskins should hope slide down in the draft
- Dan Snyder on DeSean Jackson: 'He’s really a good guy'