Feb 17, 2014, 5:11 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, February 17, two days before the start of the NFL Combine.
Our stroll through recent Redskins history takes us to the pass rushers today. Here are the team’s top five in sacks in the last 20 years (1994-2013).
1. Ken Harvey (1994-1998) 41.5 sacks—It just so happens that 1994 was the year that Harvey came over from the Cardinals as a free agent. That also was his biggest sack season of his career as he racked up 13.5. That season brought the first of four straight Pro Bowl appearances for him as well.
2. Brian Orakpo (2009-2013) 39.5 sacks—Missing all but two games of the 2012 season likely keeps him from being on top of this list. The Redskins would like the pending free agent to return in 2014 and that will be one of the major story lines of this year.
3. Andre Carter (2006-2010) 34.0 sacks—Carter recorded two double-digit sack seasons in Washington with 10.5 in 2007 and 11 in 2009. He didn’t make the Pro Bowl until after he left the Redskins and was selected as a Patriot in 2011.
4. Bruce Smith (2000-2003) 29.0 sacks—Although he is not remembered fondly in Washington, the NFL’s all-time sacks leader did get after the quarterbacks some while he was here. He raced up 10 sacks in first season here and nine in
5. Ryan Kerrigan (2011-2013)—It’s a credit to Kerrigan that he has been able to get to this point on the list in just three years in the league. It’s also an indicator of the fact that the Redskins haven’t had a whole lot of very good pass rushers in the past 20 year. For example, the Saints, who are not known for a fierce defense, have six players with more sacks than Redskins leader Harvey’s 41.5.
—It’s been 50 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 202 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 2; NFL Free agency starts 22; Offseason workouts start 49; NFL Draft 80
In case you missed it
- No hurry to deal Cousins
- The five longest tenured Redskins
- Breakout potential: NT/DE Chris Baker
- Under the radar Redskins: LB Josh Hull
Follow Us On Twitter
- Could DeSean Jackson get more involved in Redskins' return game?
- DeAngelo Hall listed as a safety on new depth chart
- A simple answer to the Redskins’ home vs. road mystery
- Gruden joins STL to recap the Skins huge victory over New York
- OPEN THREAD: More punt returns for DeSean Jackson?
- DeSean Jackson on beating NYG: 'They said we couldn't do it'
- Cousins: 'It's great to have meaningful football now in December'
- Dashon Goldson's leadership key in Redskins win over Giants
- Best of Redskins Kickoff and Postgame Live: Week 12
- Despite penalties, Jordan Reed comes up big for the Redskins