Need to Know: The five longest tenured Redskins

Feb 16, 2014, 6:15 AM EST

Golston-celebrate

Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, February 16, three days before the start of the NFL Combine.

Nickel coverage

Here are the five longest tenured Redskins currently under contract (including time spend on practice squad):

1. DE Kedric Golston 2006, drafted in sixth round—He could be challenged for a reserve spot on the defensive line.

2. C Will Montgomery 2008, signed as a free agent on Dec. 9—Could get pushed for a starting job by a draft pick, free agent, or from within.

3. FB Darrel Young, 2009, signed as a undrafted free agent on May 6—It seems likely that for the third year in a row he will be the only fullback on the roster.

4. G Kory Lichtensteiger, 2010, signed as a free agent on Jan. 11—Likely to start at either left guard or center but there could be competition.

5. LS Nick Sundberg, 2010, signed as a free agent on Jan. 28—Injuries have interrupted each of his last two seasons so alternatives could be explored here.

OT Trent Williams (drafted 1st round) and TE Logan Paulsen (signed as undrafted free agent on April 29) also joined the team in 2010.

—It’s been 49 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 203 days until they play another one.

Days until: NFL Combine 3; NFL Free agency starts 23; Offseason workouts start 50; NFL Draft 81

Sunday 02.09

Monday 02.10

Tuesday 02.11

Wednesday 02.12

Thursday 02.13

Friday 02.14

Saturday 02.15

1. Paul - Feb 16, 2014 at 6:58 AM

Kory Lichtensteiger wasn’t a free agent, the Redskins traded for him.

2. Paul - Feb 16, 2014 at 7:36 AM

You’re right. For some reason I was confusing his arrival in Washington with Adam Carriker. Adam was the one who was traded to Washington.

3. hogforlife - Feb 16, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I noticed Brian Orakpo wasn’t mentioned. I was sure he was draftef by Vinny Cerrato and crew.

• Rich Tandler - Feb 16, 2014 at 11:02 AM

That’s absolutely correct. He also is not under contract. As noted, the list is only of players under contract; Rak is a free agent.

• hogforlife - Feb 16, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Should have read closer. Thanks for the reply.

• Rich Tandler - Feb 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM

No problem. I do need a fact checker some mornings.

4. hogforlife - Feb 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I noticed Brian Orakpo wasn’t mentioned. I was sure that he was drafted by Vinny Cerrato and crew.

• rhodeislandredskins - Feb 16, 2014 at 11:23 AM

The header says ‘currently under contract’, so I guess he doesn’t get to be on this list yet……I believe he was Zorn, ’08 or ’09 though, right?

5. rhodeislandredskins - Feb 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Good stuff as always, Rich. Crazy to think that Golston is the one who has been here longest. He can tell people he was drafted by….Joe Gibbs! Weird.

6. murphsman - Feb 16, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I thought Doughty and Moss were under contract until next month.

• Rich Tandler - Feb 16, 2014 at 1:37 PM

OK, they are all technically under contract until March 11. I stand corrected on that.

7. alextwrs - Feb 16, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Speaking of tenure…… did I see Xavier Nixon starting for a playoff team after we cut him, I thought he was one of the better UDFA signings we have had in the last five or so years. I could of sworn I saw him with a horse shoe on the side of his helmet in week 8, starting at RT. He had the size and pedigree, and he fell to us (for whatever character/work ethic reasons) and we still couldn’t find a home for him in a rotation or anything? Polumbus that good he doesn’t need a break?