Feb 14, 2014, 5:15 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, February 14, five days before the start of the NFL Combine.
Here are the Redskins five longest gains of 2013:
1t. Robert Griffin pass complete deep left to Darrel Young for 62 yards, touchdown @ Eagles 11/17—If you had Griffin to Young for the longest play of the year in your office pool, you unexpectedly cashed in. I still can’t figure out where the Philly defense was.
1t. Kirk Cousins pass complete deep right to Aldrick Robinson for 62 yards @ Falcons 12/15—Robinson was past the defense and it looked like it was going to be an 80-yard TD. But he had to slow down just a little bit to get Cousins’ pass and that allowed the defensive back to make up the ground and bring Robinson down.
3. Kirk Cousins pass complete deep left to Pierre Garçon for 53 yards, touchdown @ Falcons 12/15—A well executed pump and go play. Cornerback Desmond Trufant grabbed Garçon as he blew by him, drawing a flag. Cousins showed nice touch in getting the ball over two other defenders and into Garçon’s arms.
4. Robert Griffin pass complete deep left to Aldrick Robinson for 45 yards, touchdown vs. Bears 10/20—This probably should never have happened but after Griffin heaved the ball towards a double covered Robinson near the goal line the safety fell down and Charles Tillman misplayed the ball. This is the only one of the five longest plays that took place at home and/or in a win.
5. Alfred Morris up the middle for 45 yards, touchdown @ Cowboys 10/13—This was a simple zone stretch play with good blocking from the entire line. Morris saw a huge hole, cut through it and only had to shake off a couple of Dallas defenders who took poor angles to finish off the play.
—It’s been 47 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 205 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 5; NFL Free agency starts 25; Offseason workouts start 52; NFL Draft 83
In case you missed it
- Free agent fits: Wide receiver
- Should the Redskins pursue any of the ex-Saints?
- Breakout potential: K Kai Forbath
- Redskins fan questions: Rak, O-line, the draft and more
- Redskins free agents aren’t Costco, either
- The Redskins top five in interceptions in the last 20 years
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Kirk Cousins consults current and former NFL starters for advice
- Need to Know: Redskins couldn't take advantage of fumble recoveries
- Kirk Cousins is excited about Jamison Crowder's growth, Josh Doctson's potential
- Quality of Redskins' receiving corps may hinge on Doctson's learning curve
- Redskins teammates give Jordan Reed a hard time for new big-money contract
- Redskins' David Bruton excited to get 'first crack' at starting safety job
- Months later, Redskins ILB Perry Riley still battling foot injury
- Need to Know: Cousins talks of Redskins' need for 'sustained success'
- Before signing Josh Norman, Redskins had sights set on Brandon Browner
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'