Feb 12, 2014, 5:00 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, February 12, seven days before the NFL Combine.
Here are the top five (plus three) Redskins in terms of the Approximate Value metric used by, among other sites, www.Pro-Football-Reference.com. The site sums up AV as follows: “The Approximate Value (AV) method is an attempt to put a single number on the seasonal value of a player at any position from any year (since 1950).”
To give you a feel for it, the highest AV for a season belongs to LaDanian Tomlinson, who earned an AV of 26 in 2006 for rushing for 1,815 yards and scoring a total of 31 touchdowns and, for good measure, passing for two TD’s. Players who contribute little get an AV of zero and the rest are in between. If you want more details, you can go here.
1t. QB Robert Griffin III, AV of 10—This might be somewhat surprising but one thing about AV is that it doesn’t go up against any expectations. A QB who completes 60 percent of his passes for over 3,000 yards is going to fare pretty well.
1t. OT Trent Williams, 10—The fact that the Redskins did have a decent rushing game (5th in the NFL) and his Pro Bowl selection contributed to Williams’ value.
3t. WR Pierre Garçon, 9—I think that most would have him as the most valuable Redskin in 2013. He’s close.
3t. OLB Brian Orakpo, 9—He’s the defensive MVP for 2013, no question about it. Wading through the calculation method, I believe that his Pro Bowl selection does help even though he was selected as an alternate.
5t. ILB’s London Fletcher and Perry Riley, OLB Ryan Kerrigan, RB Alfred Morris, all with an AV of 7—With Fletcher retiring and Orakpo and Riley set to become free agents, the Redskins have some work to do at linebacker. They have Kerrigan under contract for this season and they will almost certainly exercise a team option for 2015.
—It’s been 45 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 207 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 7; NFL Free agency starts 27; Offseason workouts start 54; NFL Draft 85
In case you missed it
- Should the Redskins keep Rex?
- Redskins play a zero-sum game in free agency
- Redskins position outlook: Quarterback
- Redskins’ schedule strength in middle of the pack
- The Redskins’ five top running backs of the last 20 years
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins improving in takeaway department lately
- Redskins rookie a 'long shot' to play against Cowboys
- Gruden, Redskins hope to hit offseason on a high note
- Gruden happy with play of young defenders
- Gruden names RG3 starter next week, praises improvement
- Defense against Eagles doesn't help Haslett's case
- Mike Shanahan on RG3: He can still be a franchise QB
- A fairly calm offseason appears to be on tap at Redskins Park
- Redskins spoil Eagles' season but still have a long way to go
- Week 16 rankings: Injuries messing with fantasy Super Bowls