Feb 10, 2014, 5:05 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, February 10, nine days before the NFL Combine.
The players who have the Redskins’ top five salary cap numbers:
1. LT Trent Williams, $10.98 million—He was among the last high draft picks under the old system where early draft picks got six-year contracts for big money. It worked out well for the Redskins as Williams’ cap hit is very reasonable for a two-time Pro Bowl left tackle. Williams’ contract runs through 2015.
2. WR Pierre Garçon, $9.7 million—He’s on the third year of a five-year, $42 million contract he signed in 2012. His cap numbers are practically flat over the last three years of the deal with a $9.7 million charge next year and a $10.2 million hit in 2016. If he stays on the field and stays as productive as he has that will be a good deal for the Redskins.
3. NT Barry Cofield, $7.6 million—Remember Bruce Allen saying that the Redskins would still be affect by the NFL’s salary cap penalty even after it technically ended? Cofield’s cap number is evidence of this. He needed to restructure his contract to give the Redskins some breathing room and that pushed some of his 2013 salary into future years.
4. DE Stephen Bowen, $7.02 million—See above about the cap penalty still taking a bite out of this year’s cap. Bowen also restructured his deal last year and his 2014 cap number ballooned as a result. The contract was redone before the season started. During the year Bowen suffered a knee injury and underwent microfracture surgery. That puts his future in doubt and he may need to consider taking a pay cut or face being released.
5. DE Adam Carriker, $6.8 million—This cap number includes a $4.7 million salary that Carriker, who hasn’t played since the second game of the 2012 season due to a quad injury, is unlikely to see. The team will either negotiate a drastically reduced salary with perhaps some incentives in case he does make it all the way back or release him.
—It’s been 43 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 209 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 9; NFL Free agency starts 29; Offseason workouts start 56; NFL Draft 87
In case you missed it
- Can Amerson crack top-10 in INTs?
- The Redskins’ top five receivers since 2010
- Coaching change should boot RG3’s fantasy value
- More cap space for the Redskins? NFL cap could reach $130 million
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins announce list of 26 players who did not travel for Buccaneers game
- Redskins vs. Buccaneers Live Updates: Week 4 score, stats, highlights
- Tropical storm pouring down rain in Tampa as game time approaches for Redskins (VIDEO)
- Redskins dress in matching Tommy Bahama shirts at Welcome Home Luncheon
- Need to Know: Some Redskins focus on Bucs, others on Steelers
- Redskins vs Buccaneers: 5 things to watch in game with major weather concerns
- Forced to make decision on rookie, Redskins move Keith Marshall to injured reserve
- After Tony Romo injury, a new odds favorite emerges in NFC East
- Redskins' Trent Williams on Stephen Paea and Perry Riley release: 'It's tough, man'
- Redskins release Perry Riley, Stephen Paea in roster trim-down