Feb 8, 2014, 5:55 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, February 8, 11 days before the NFL Combine.
The NFL keeps a stat called “net yards over average”. It works along the lines of the plus/minus numbers they keep in basketball and hockey. The NFL has figured out how many yards the average team will gain on, say, third and six at their own 20. If an offense gains seven yards on the play and the average is five, each offensive player on the field gets plus-two yards added to their net and every defender gets a minus-2.
Here are the Redskins’ top five on offense:
- Jordan Reed 236.1
- Leonard Hankerson 171.9
- Darrel Young 167.6
- Josh Morgan 57.2
- Robert Griffin III 57.0
The only other Redskin who was in positive territory was Lance Lewis (6.9), who played only a handful of snaps. The other 18 players who took offensive snaps for the Redskins were in negative territory. The Eagles, by contrast, had 20 players in the positive numbers and two negative. Philly had 13 players with more net yards over average than Reed.
—It’s been 41 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 211 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 11; NFL Free agency starts 31; Offseason workouts start 58; NFL Draft 89
In case you missed it
- How to fix the safety spot
- Point-Counterpoint: Should the Redskins trade Cousins?
- How good can Aldrick Robinson be?
- Redskins position outlook: Safety
- Five things on RG3’s offseason to-do list
Are the Redskins going to trade Cousins?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Do the Redskins need to lock up Cousins before Luck signs?
- NFL to interview players named in Al-Jazeera report, what does that mean for Manning?
- Redskins' McCoy on backing up Cousins: 'I try to help him as much as I can'
- Need to Know: The Redskins week that was—Cousins on the rise
- Redskins position preview: Cornerbacks
- Will the Redskins air it out more in 2016?
- Need to Know: The top five receivers the Redskins will face in 2016
- Redskins' Callahan on Lichtensteiger: 'We’re fortunate to have him'
- As deadline approaches, little momentum for Kirk Cousins' long-term deal
- Left guard preview: Big competition coming at Redskins camp