Feb 6, 2014, 5:01 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, February 6, 13 days before the NFL Combine.
Spotrac.com came out with a list of 30 possible salary cap casualties from around the NFL. Here are five from that list who may interest the Redskins.
S Thomas DeCoud, ATL—He made the Pro Bowl in 2012 but, like the rest of the team, his play fell off last year. DeCoud will be 29 next month and he has been durable, starting 15 or 16 games every year since 2009.
ILB DeMeco Ryans, PHIL—The Eagles might try to get him to reduce his $6.9 million salary before letting him go and they might hang on to him anyway. But if he hits the market the Redskins should call. He turns 30 before the season starts but he could be a mid-term solution to the hole created by London Fletcher’s retirement.
WR Danny Amendola, NE—Yeah, there’s that injury thing to consider so he’d need a deal with a lot of per-game roster bonuses. But still, in 12 games last year he caught 54 passes, more than anyone on the Redskins not named Pierre Garçon.
CB Cortland Finnegan, STL—The Redskins wanted him when he was a free agent two years ago but the salary cap penalty scuttled their plans. He’s 30 now and he missed time last year with a hamstring before an eye injury landed him on injured reserve after he’d played in just seven games. But he can still cover and would be a good pickup for the Redskins at the right price.
CB Ike Taylor, PITT—At age 34 maybe you don’t want him to start 16 games like he did for the Steelers last year. But he can play nickel back and spot start. Again, like with potential deals for any veteran player, the price has to be right.
Here’s the thing
If the Redskins don’t think they can start David Amerson, their 2013 second-round pick, at cornerback this year they need to take a serious look at their scouting operation. If he’s not ready, they need to question their teaching methods. They aren’t going to the Super Bowl, they need to put him out there.
—It’s been 39 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 213 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 13; NFL Free agency starts 33; Offseason workouts start 60; NFL Draft 91
In case you missed it
- Sign a free agent cornerback or look within?
- Redskins salary cap analysis: How much for Orakpo, Riley?
- Source: Redskins open negotiations with DE Chris Baker
- Redskins position outlook: Cornerback
- The five most important season dates for the Redskins
Follow Us On Twitter
- Haynesworth calls out Redskins, warns Suh to research options
- Redskins re-sign safety despite injury-plagued 2014
- Redskins free agent fits: Defensive line
- OPEN THREAD: Any free agent QB make sense for the Redskins?
- NFL Mock Draft 4.0: Pass rusher or Danny Shelton or...?
- Redskins stay or go: QB Colt McCoy
- Redskins interested spectators as Chip Kelly reshapes his Eagles
- A look at the draft possibilities for the Redskins and Ravens
- Report: Eagles will trade LeSean McCoy
- Report: Eagles poised to release veteran pass-rusher