Feb 5, 2014, 4:50 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, February 5, 14 days before the NFL Combine.
Tarik posted the full NFL calendar on the site the other day. Let’s go through it and pull out the five dates that are most important to the Redskins.
*Feb 17 Teams can apply franchise tag to pending free agents—It’s likely that the Redskins are seriously considering this option for Brian Orakpo, their most important 2014 free agent. The deadline for tagging players is 4 p.m. on March 3.
*Feb 19-25 NFL Combine in Indianapolis—Since he skipped the Senior Bowl to work on the team’s playbook, this will be Jay Gruden’s first chance to meet with some of the players the Redskins will consider taking in the draft.
*March 11 Start of free agency—Gruden and Bruce Allen will need to convince players that there are plenty of other reasons to play for the Redskins besides just money. They have a pretty good amount of cash to spend, about $30 million, but they have a lot of needs. How successful Allen and Gruden are in getting players to come in at their price will go a long way towards determining how successful the team is in 2014.
*April 7 Offseason workouts start—This will be the first chance that Robert Griffin III and the rest of the players to work hands on in Gruden’s offense and to see what tweaks (or, perhaps overhauls) Jim Haslett makes to the defense. There will be a voluntary veteran minicamp sometime in late April or early may that will give the team its first opportunity to line up offense vs. defense.
*May 9 NFL Draft (2nd-3rd rounds)—This will be Allen’s first draft where he has final say on personnel and he needs to nail it. On the first day the Redskins have picks, Allen needs to find two players who can start or at least contribute heavily this season. On Saturday Allen needs to locate a couple of players who can start in 2015 and some special teams contributors.
—It’s been 38 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 214 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 14; NFL Free agency starts 34; Offseason workouts start 61; NFL Draft 92
In case you missed it
- What to do for a WR 2?
- Report: Broncos will allow Decker to test free agent market
- Redskins position outlook: Wide receiver
- No surprise, Redskins a long shot to win 2014 Super Bowl
- Redskins add three coaches, keep another
- Five possible veteran replacements for Kirk Cousins
Follow Us On Twitter
- Following NFL trend, Redskins sell naming rights for practice facility
- Can Redskins' Cousins continue to avoid the turnover bug?
- OPEN THREAD: Las Vegas betting information shows lack of respect for Redskins
- Need to Know: What are the Redskins' strongest and weakest areas?
- Cowboys bus involved in fatal crash in Arizona
- DeSean Jackson throws out first pitch at Sunday's Nationals game
- Redskins have many options at tight end, but don't count out Niles Paul
- NTK: Redskins by the numbers—First down rushing woes must be fixed
- NTK: The Redskins week that was—Moss' top five, final word on Cousins contract
- Kirk Cousins has same odds of winning 2016/17 NFL MVP as Mark Sanchez