Feb 4, 2014, 4:56 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, February 4, 93 days before the NFL Draft.
If the Redskins trade Kirk Cousins, who would serve as the backup for Robert Griffin III? Here are five possibilities from among pending veteran free agent QB’s.
1. Tarvaris Jackson, SEA—His experience as a starter (34 games) gives him some added value. It may take some extra money to pry him out of Seattle, where he will collect playoff money and a ring after Sunday’s game.
2. Josh McCown, CHI—He might not be too anxious to leave his current team and he may want to go someplace where he can get a chance to start. But not too many fan bases are going to get energized over their team bringing in a 35-year-old journeyman to start no matter how well he played last year in relief of Jay Cutler.
3. Matt Flynn, GB—Yes he bombed in Oakland but he wasn’t exactly surrounded by the best talent there, either. He struggled in Green Bay when they first brought him in but he ultimately saved their season by beating the Cowboys. And anyone who can beat the Cowboys should be welcome in Washington.
4. Shaun Hill, DET—He’s an old (34) Maryland alum so he knows the area. Might not thrill anyone who isn’t a Terp but he’s started 26 NFL games and has a career completion percentage of almost 62.
5. Rex Grossman, WAS—He would be stepping up a notch from third to second string, making the possibility that he might have to actually come into a game much greater than it has been. But there are worse alternatives out there and Griffin loves having him around.
—It’s been 37 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 215 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 15; NFL Free agency starts 35; Offseason workouts start 62; NFL Draft 93
In case you missed it
- Will injuries force D-line changes?
- Where does the Redskins’ roster rank?
- Redskins’ important dates this offseason
- Did the Seahawks provide a new blueprint?
- Redskins position outlook: defensive line
- NFL waiver system starts today, Redskins have second priority
- Five things the Redskins can learn from the Super Bowl
Follow Us On Twitter
- Cowboys bus involved in fatal crash in Arizona
- DeSean Jackson throws out first pitch at Sunday's Nationals game
- Redskins have many options at tight end, but don't count out Niles Paul
- NTK: Redskins by the numbers—First down rushing woes must be fixed
- NTK: The Redskins week that was—Moss' top five, final word on Cousins contract
- Kirk Cousins has same odds of winning 2016/17 NFL MVP as Mark Sanchez
- Longtime NFL coach Dennis Green dead at 67; honored by Redskins great
- Eight Redskins recognized for offseason work
- Josh Norman hopes Odell Beckham Jr. circled his calendar
- Colin Cowherd again trolls D.C. athlete - but this time it's Kirk Cousins