Feb 2, 2014, 6:35 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Super Bowl Sunday, February 2, 95 days before the NFL Draft.
Yes, there were days when the Redskins played in Super Bowls. Here are the team’s five best individual performances in the big game.
1. John Riggins XVII—He just pounded the Dolphins into submission with 38 carries for 166 yards. The yardage record has been broken but no running back has dominated a Super Bowl like Riggins. His 43-yard touchdown run on fourth down in the fourth quarter is one of the most underrated big plays in Super Bowl history.
2. Doug Williams XXII—Going into the second quarter Williams was four for 10 for 78 yards. It wasn’t even certain that he would come out for the first snap of the second quarter after he with following a knee injury. But he came in, launched an 80-yard TD bomb to Ricky Sanders on his first snap of the second quarter and the rest is NFL history. He was 9 of 11 for 228 yards and four touchdowns.
3. Ricky Sanders XXII—Art Monk played but his game was seriously hampered by a knee injury. That left The Posse down to two members and it was Sanders who stepped up. As noted above, he and Williams opened the floodgates with their 80-yard TD connection on the Redskins’ first snap of the second quarter. The play was supposed to be a seven-yard hitch but Sanders recognized press coverage from cornerback Mark Haynes and just blew by him. He also hauled in a 50-yard TD from Williams later in The Quarter. On the day, seven receptions for 166 yards for Sanders.
4. Joe Jacoby XVII—I pitched his Hall of Fame worthiness yesterday and this game is one of the big reasons why. The left tackle slammed into defensive end Kim Bokamper time after time as the Redskins literally ground the Dolphins into submission. The other Hogs who started that day—LG Russ Grimm, C Jeff Bostic, RG Fred Dean, and RT George Starke—get strong honorable mentions here.
5. Brad Edwards XXVI—The defense needs to be represented here somewhere and Edwards’ performance against the Bills. He picked off Hall of Fame QB Jim Kelly twice and knocked down five passes. Andre Reed, named to the Hall of Fame yesterday, caught just five passes for 34 yards. That wasn’t all Edwards but he was a big part of it as his big hits gave Bills receivers a severe case of alligator arms.
—Born on this day: Redskins OL Josh LeRibeus (1989) and former Redskins DE Dexter Manley (1958).
—It’s been 35 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 217 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 17; NFL Free agency starts 37; Offseason workouts start 64; NFL Draft 95
In case you missed it
- NFL remains America’s favorite sport
- Redskins draft rewind: QB Robert Griffin III
- Redskins draft rewind: DE Jarvis Jenkins
- Five (plus one) Pro Bowl leaders
- Are there cap casualties coming on the defensive line?
- Redskins draft rewind: LB Ryan Kerrigan
- Kubiak, not K. Shanahan, will be Ravens’ OC
- Redskins hire Banta as special teams assistant
- Good news-bad news for Morris in Pro Bowl
- The five youngest Redskins and their 2014 prospects
- Familiar faces back on defense?
- Bailey salutes Casserly: ‘He made me a pro’
- Report: Browns ‘talking’ to Kyle Shanahan
- Allen on Redskins: ‘Maybe lost a little bit of our hunger’
- Leaving Redskins ‘best thing to happen’ to Bailey
- Redskins could gain even more cap room
- Five free agent cornerback possibilities for the Redskins
- A free agent replacement at ILB?
- Why can’t RG3 and Gruden talk about football?
- Bill Romanowski on Redskins: Shanahan wasn’t able to lead
- Bruce Allen expects to add 20 new players to Redskins’ roster
- Redskins position outlook: Inside linebacker
- Five Redskins backups who could start in 2014
- A change coming at right tackle?
- Bailey’s advice to RG3: ‘Let your game speak for itself’
- The Redskins have major needs in the middle of their defense
- Riggins remembers chat with Gibbs before Super Bowl
- Redskins position outlook: Offensive tackle
- The five most penalized Redskins in 2013
- Edelman may move
- Do the Redskins need to do whatever it takes to keep Orakpo?
- Goodell: the NFL is ‘serious’ about expanding playoff field
- Goodell: NFL moving toward centralized instant replay
- Don’t be afraid to say it–the Redskins are rebuilding
- Redskins position outlook: Outside linebacker
- Terrell Davis thinks Shanahan lost his edge
- Five possible Redskins draft targets at safety
- Big changes coming on Redskins’ O-line?
- Redskins position outlook: Interior offensive line
- Report: Kyle Shanahan is new Browns offensive coordinator
- Seahawks or Broncos? Our Super Bowl predictions
- Five Redskins who should be in the Hall of Fame
Follow Us On Twitter
- Morris, McCoy dish on the best part of Thanksgiving
- What does the future hold for RG3?
- Report: Colt McCoy to start over RG3 vs. Colts
- Week 13 Power Rankings: Raiders, Odell Beckham Jr. win!
- Will Gruden use Jackson as a returner more often?
- Redskins have found sliver lining in punter Tress Way
- Fred Smoot Charged with Domestic Assault
- Wendy's Q&A: Why does RG3 avoid leaving the pocket?
- Garçon says he will stay focused despite reduced opportunities
- OPEN THREAD: Has Alfred Morris hit top gear?