Jan 31, 2014, 5:05 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, January 31, 97 days before the NFL Draft.
As you read here yesterday, the Redskins have a huge hole in the middle of their defense now that it’s been determined that Brandon Meriweather is going to be a free agent. They will need immediate help and last week we looked at some free agents they could sign. Here are some who they could look at in the NFL draft.
1. Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois—Tarik did a profile of him during the Senior Bowl. He picked off seven passes for the Huskies and defended another 14. Ward has solid coverage skills but like most safeties coming out of college he’ll have to prove that his tackling is good enough for the NFL. (Projected round 2-3)
2. Vinnie Sunseri, Alabama—You always have to wonder about damaged goods and Sunseri qualifies as such after he suffered a torn ACL in October. Most thought he would come back to the Crimson Tide to boost his draft stock. If the Redskins are in a gambling frame of mind they could go for the 6-0, 210 prospect. He could well be available when the Redskins pick in the fourth or maybe even fifth round. (Projected round 5)
3. Ed Reynolds, Stanford—According to Rob Rang’s scouting report he “understand his role as the last line of defense”, “takes excellent angles” and is a “reliable open-field tackler”. In other words, he could be better than any safety the Redskins employed in 2013 right off the bat. (Projected round 2)
4. Terrence Brooks, Florida State—He’s a touch short at 5-11 but he has 30-inch arms to compensate. A former cornerback who is tough and aggressive and is another one who needs to sharpen his tackling technique. Brooks was often overshadowed on FSU’s undefeated team but he can make plays both near the line of scrimmage and back deep in coverage. (Projected round 4)
5. Deone Bucannon, Washington—Here’s your big, “Legion of Boom” guy at safety. Bucannon carries 215 pounds very well on his 6-1 frame. Rang said that he delivers “bone-rattling hits” and has a knack for big plays and turnovers. (Projected round 2-3)
—It’s been 33 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 219 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 19; NFL Free agency starts 39; Offseason workouts start 66; NFL Draft 97
In case you missed it
- A change coming at right tackle?
- Bailey’s advice to RG3: ‘Let your game speak for itself’
- The Redskins have major needs in the middle of their defense
- Riggins remembers chat with Gibbs before Super Bowl
- Redskins position outlook: Offensive tackle
- The five most penalized Redskins in 2013
Tandler on Redskins Nation
Follow Us On Twitter
- Knighton's decision to bet on himself impressed Redskins
- Comments of the Week: Who said what about RG3?
- Lack of ties to current players helps Redskins GM make evaluations
- Redskins Draft Countdown: Penn State safety Adrian Amos
- OPEN THREAD: No help for Redskins offensive line until NFL Draft?
- Redskins face high roster turnover again in 2015
- Why the Redskins might not want to trade down in the draft
- Rich Tandler talks RG3 as the starter on PFT Live
- NFL takes away draft pick from 2015 Redskins opponent
- McCloughan wants Johnson to bring Seattle's swagger to Skins