Jan 30, 2014, 5:09 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, January 30, 98 days before the NFL Draft.
Here are the five most penalized Redskins of 2013 (counts include declined penalties):
1. C Will Montgomery (9 penalties, 73 yards)—Monty got started early with four penalties in the first two games. He was flagged for four holds over the course of the season. Montgomery’s penalties stalled four drives, most on the team.
2. LT Trent Williams (7 penalties, 30 yards)—The numbers for Williams were kind of strange; he was called for holding five time but only three were accepted. He got hit with a false start in the opener and didn’t have another one the rest of the year.
3. LB Perry Riley (6 penalties, 47 yards)—Riley was flagged for some rough stuff with two roughing the passer flags and one each for a horsecollar tackle and general unnecessary roughness in the first 11 games. The last two were enforced at half the distance to the goal line, so they cost just a total of seven yards. His penalties led for four first downs for the opponents, most on the team.
4. QB Robert Griffin III (6 penalties, 44 yards)—Three of those flags were for delay of game. Those are always charged to the QB even though they may or may not be his fault. Two of the penalties were for intentional grounding and those a almost always the quarterback’s fault; even with the knee brace Griffin is fast enough to get out of the pocket before heaving the ball away.
5. RG Chris Chester (5 penalties, 45 yards)—He was on track to having a great year on the penalty front until he got two holding flags in Week 9 against the Chargers. Chester didn’t commit another penalty the rest of the season.
—It’s been 32 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 220 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 20; NFL Free agency starts 40; Offseason workouts start 67; NFL Draft 98
In case you missed it
- A free agent replacement at ILB?
- Why can’t RG3 and Gruden talk about football?
- Bill Romanowski on Redskins: Shanahan wasn’t able to lead
- Bruce Allen expects to add 20 new players to Redskins’ roster
- Redskins position outlook: Inside linebacker
- Five Redskins backups who could start in 2014
Follow Us On Twitter
- 2014 Mock Draft 10.0: Clowney back on top
- Do the Redskins have enough O-line depth?
- Putting the Redskins schedule under the microscope
- OPEN THREAD: Toughest stretch for Redskins
- A guard for the Redskins at 34?
- Redskins' Wk 16 game time vs. Eagles subject to change
- 5 pivotal 2014 Redskins games
- When will Jackson face Eagles and how will he fare? (VIDEO)
- Breaking down the Redskins 2014 schedule (VIDEO)
- Schedule Release: Predicting the Redskins' 2014 games