Jan 29, 2014, 4:51 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, January 29, 99 days before the NFL Draft.
Here are five Redskins who were backups in 2013 who could be starters in 2014.
1. OT Tom Compton—If the Redskins don’t bring in a right tackle in free agency, Compton could compete with Tyler Polumbus for the starting job there.
2. G Adam Gettis—Chris Chester is in the unenviable position of his age and salary cap number being high and his performance level being a bit too low. That could open the door for Gettis to step into the starting role.
3. CB Richard Crawford—He wasn’t a backup last year because he was on injured reserve. And he’s not really in line for a starting job in a traditional lineup. But he could earn nickel back spot and with teams going with so many multiple wide receiver sets, that is basically a starting spot.
4. S Phillip Thomas—A preseason Lisfranc injury cost him his rookie year before it ever got going. Thomas wasn’t really looking like a starter when he was injured but there will be opportunity there and another offseason of work could get him in position to challenge for what could be an open job at strong safety.
5. DE Chris Baker—He did start the last three games last year so maybe you could stay he is a returning starter. There is the little matter of signing the free agent to a new contract as well. He could battle Stephen Bowen, who is coming off of a knee injury, for the job at right end.
—It’s been 31 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 221 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 21; NFL Free agency starts 41; Offseason workouts start 68; NFL Draft 99
In case you missed it
- Familiar faces back on defense?
- Bailey salutes Casserly: ‘He made me a pro’
- Report: Browns ‘talking’ to Kyle Shanahan
- Allen on Redskins: ‘Maybe lost a little bit of our hunger’
- Leaving Redskins ‘best thing to happen’ to Bailey
- Redskins could gain even more cap room
- Five free agent cornerback possibilities for the Redskins
Allen: We created our own adversity
Follow Us On Twitter
- Cakes thinks the Redskins finally get a win in MetLife Stadium
- Even Redskins D-linemen get scared at haunted houses
- Are Cousins' interceptions a result of bad luck?
- Gruden: Redskins need to turn takeaways into points
- Report: Former Redskins coach Steve Spurrier will retire
- Jay Gruden calls fourth-quarter play call 'awful'
- Gruden: Falcons’ game-winning pick six ‘an unfortunate play’
- Gruden on what happened on Cousins' interception in OT
- Gruden on why the Redskins' rushing attack has been ineffective
- Another cornerback joins the Redskins' injury list