Jan 28, 2014, 5:00 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, January 28, 100 days before the NFL Draft.
With three of their top four cornerbacks set to become free agents the Redskins will almost certainly be in the market for a free agent corner. Here are five that may fit the Redskins’ needs and budget.
1. Alterraun Verner, TEN—The Redskins could go one of two routes at cornerback. They might sign an older corner for a year or two as a stopgap until a draft pick can play there or they could sign a younger player for the long term. Verner fits into the latter category. The Pro Bowler is 25 and won’t turn 26 until late this season and he’s gotten better every year.
2. Captain Munnerlyn, CAR—He’s would be another one in the younger, long-term category (turns 26 in April). The former seventh-round pick has worked his way into the Panthers’ starting lineup and, like Verner, he has improved every year. Last year he had two interception returns for touchdowns and three sacks.
3. Antoine Cason, ARIZ—We’re starting to get into the older, stopgap category here although Cason turns just 28 before training camp. The Chargers let their former first-round pick walk in free agency a year ago and there was plenty of talk of the Redskins picking him up. Instead he signed a one-year deal with the Cardinals so he’s back on the market again.
4. Mike Jenkins, OAK—The Cowboys’ former first-round pick is pretty good when he’s on the field. That wasn’t an issue last year when he played all 16 games after signing with the Raiders. But he missed games his last two seasons in Dallas with back, knee, and hamstring injuries. Jenkins turns 29 in March.
5. Richard Marshall, SD—He will turn 30 late in the season and if he doesn’t sign back with the Chargers he could be with his fifth team in five years. Marshall has stayed healthy for the most part, playing in 16 games in seven of his eight NFL seasons. Certainly he would be a stopgap but if the Redskins need a nickel back and a part-time starter Marshall could fill the bill.
—It’s been 30 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 222 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 22; NFL Free agency starts 42; Offseason workouts start 69; NFL Draft 100
In case you missed it
- Are there cap casualties coming on the defensive line?
- Redskins draft rewind: LB Ryan Kerrigan
- Kubiak, not K. Shanahan, will be Ravens’ OC
- Redskins hire Banta as special teams assistant
- Good news-bad news for Morris in Pro Bowl
- The five youngest Redskins and their 2014 prospects
Follow Us On Twitter
- Could Leonard Williams be on the board when the Redskins pick?
- 25 Redskins questions: Who will be the third-down back?
- Who's the favorite to be the Redskins' top pick?
- Redskins draft board: Cornerback
- If your favorite draft prospect hasn't visited Redskins Park don't worry
- OPEN THREAD: Will Adrian Peterson end up with the Cowboys?
- 25 Redskins questions: More special teams improvement in 2015?
- NFL reinstates Adrian Peterson from suspension
- Report: Redskins to host USC's Leonard Williams
- More defense in the draft for the Redskins?