Jan 26, 2014, 5:49 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, January 26, 24 days before the NFL Combine.
Here are the five Redskins (plus one) with the most Pro Bowl appearances:
LB Chris Hanburger, 9—The Redskins’ most recent Hall of Fame inductee earned first team All-Pro honors four times on top of the Pro Bowl appearances.
WR Charley Taylor, 8—Taylor was drafted as a running back and he was a pretty good one. But Otto Graham moved him to wide receiver and the rest is history including Taylor holding the NFL career record for receptions when he retired with 649.
S Ken Houston, 7—During his career Houston was selected to the Pro Bowl a total of 12 times with five of those coming when he played for the Oilers before being traded to Washington. Perhaps his most impressive feat was returning four interceptions for touchdowns during the 1971 season, tied for the most in NFL history.
CB Darrell Green, 7—The inclination here is to think, “is that all?” I mean, the guy played here for 20 years. Green made three Pro Bowls in his first five years in Washington and then made it twice more when the team made its final Super Bowl run in 1990-1991. But he never quite reached “automatic” selection status and made it just two more times, 1996 and 1997, the last 12 years of his career.
QB Sammy Baugh, 6—If you’re making your list of the all-time greatest Redskins and Baugh isn’t at the top, tear it up and start over because you’re doing it wrong. The Pro Bowl did not exist in 1937, Baugh’s rookie season or he would almost certainly have one more on his record. That year he was first team All-Pro and led the Redskins to the NFL championship.
OT Chris Samuels, 6—He was never described as dominant but he was as rock-solid a left tackle as there was in the league for the decade from 2000-2009. Samuels made the Pro Bowl four straight times from 2005-2008.
—It’s been 28 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 224 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Free agency starts 44; Offseason workouts start 71 NFL Draft 102
In case you missed it
- A big deal for Gruden
- Redskins have seen Richard Sherman’s act before
- Larry Fitzgerald, not Pierre Garçon, gets Pro Bowl nod
- Redskins could use Seattle’s Golden Tate
- Jerry Jones stays committed to Cowboys staff
- Will a deep draft pool help the Redskins?
- Upheaval for New York Giants ‘broken’ offense
- Redskins draft rewind: OG Josh LeRibeus
- Note to Redskins: Buyer beware on Giants’ WR Nicks
- Joe Gibbs’ five NFC title games
- Senior Bowl week kicks off
- Salary cap review: Redskins have flexibility on offensive line
- Redskins officially hire Ike Hilliard as WR coach
- Gruden to skip Senior Bowl
- What the Redskins can learn from Sunday’s games
- Morris pick pays quick dividends
- Brian Orakpo is headed to Hawaii
- Goodell talks about eliminating the PAT kick
- McVay says he’ll coach QB’s
- Five free agent wide receivers the Redskins could target
- Haz says Skins will stick with 3-4
- Gruden intends to let RG3 ‘be himself’
- Will the Redskins put the franchise tag on Brian Orakpo?
- LB Borland a prospect for Redskins to watch at Senior Bowl
- Redskins draft rewind: QB Kirk Cousins
- Five free agents the Redskins are unlikely to sign
- Low QB salaries won’t last long
- Redskins’ Haslett wants Orakpo, Hall to be re-signed
- Haslett hopes influx of underclassmen helps Redskins
- Sundberg wants PAT moved back, not eliminated
- Five free agent safeties the Redskins could target
- Too much focus on RG3?
- Redskins’ roster situation requires an active free agency period
- Report: Escalator gives Redskins’ Polumbus a raise
- Gruden wants to develop Griffin into a drop-back passer
- Report: Fred Davis facing another suspension
- Senior Bowl profile: Northern Illinois S Jimmie Ward
- The five oldest Redskins and their futures
- Redskins hire Randy Jordan to coach running backs
- A pivotal year for Hankerson
- A blueprint for defensive free agency?
- ILB Borland could fill Redskins’ need in the middle
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins position preview: Cornerback
- Redskins will benefit the least from Richardson, McClain and Hardy suspensions
- Even after free agency, Redskins Super Bowl odds still get worse
- Is play action a cure for Redskins' and RG3's problems?
- Ryan Kerrigan gives update on knee after surgery
- Redskins preseason Q&A: Which rookie will have the most impact?
- Redskins position preview: Quarterback
- Is DeSean Jackson's new reality show a distraction?
- NBA free agency causes Redskins safety to speak up
- Why did the Redskins struggle on third down in 2014?