Jan 25, 2014, 5:59 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, January 25, 72 days before the Redskins start offseason workouts.
With the report that Fred Davis is facing a six-game suspension at the start of the 2014 season, the Redskins’ draft class of 2008 is total loss. That’s in large part due to the second round, where the Redskins chose three players from whom they got minimal returns—Davis (48th overall pic) and wide receivers Devin Thomas (34th) and Malcolm Kelly (51st). Here are five players they could have had instead:
CB Brandon Flowers (drafted by Chiefs, pick 35 overall)—Flowers made his first Pro Bowl this year, an honor for which he was long overdue. He has started 87 games and has 17 interceptions.
WR Jordy Nelson (Packers, 36th)—He had more receptions as a rookie, 33, than Kelly had in his NFL career (28). Nelson has been a valuable target for Aaron Rodgers and is coming off of a career-high 85-catch season.
WR DeSean Jackson (Eagles, 49th)—You might note that this is one pick after the Redskins took Davis. Jackson would be of value to the Redskins as a punt returner alone, with his 9.9-yard average and four career touchdowns. That’s not to mention his three 1,000-yard seasons as a receiver, leading to three Pro Bowl appearances.
RB Ray Rice (Ravens, 55th)—Yes, the Redskins had Clinton Portis at the time, but it was clear that with his playing style he wouldn’t last forever. He is still a productive back while Portis has been retired since after the 2010 season.
RB Jamaal Charles (Chiefs, 73rd)—He’s been first-team All-Pro twice and, like Rice, he’s a threat as both a runner and receiver. Had Peyton Manning not had the season that he had Charles would have been a legitimate candidate for MVP in 2013. There are reports that the Redskins were strongly considering drafting him but someone decided to go with Kelly.
—It’s been 27 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 225 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 25; NFL Free agency starts 45; NFL Draft 103
In case you missed it
- Too much focus on RG3?
- Redskins’ roster situation requires an active free agency period
- Report: Escalator gives Redskins’ Polumbus a raise
- Gruden wants to develop Griffin into a drop-back passer
- Report: Fred Davis facing another suspension
- Senior Bowl profile: Northern Illinois S Jimmie Ward
- The five oldest Redskins and their futures
Defensive prospects at the Senior Bowl
Follow Us On Twitter
- What does the future hold for Redskins' Moses?
- Redskins say so long to well paid but seldom used cornerback
- Redskins release veteran offensive lineman, clears way for young player
- REPORT: Decision is in for Redskins on HBO's Hard Knocks
- Andre Roberts welcomes increased competition from rookie Crowder
- Need to Know: Redskins defense to focus on takeaways
- DeSean Jackson attends Eastern Conference Finals on first day of OTAs
- Redskins' DeAngelo Hall sets target date for return
- Gruden expects 'significant strides' from RG3 in 2015
- Redskins linebackers "gunning" for Brian Orakpo's old spot