Jan 24, 2014, 5:19 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, January 24, 73 days before the Redskins start offseason workouts.
Some of the oldest members of the 2013 Redskins are set to become free agents. Here are the five oldest Redskins who are currently under contract and a look at the prospects for their futures in burgundy and gold:
P Sav Rocca (40.2 years old as of today)—The Redskins have signed punter Robert Malone to a futures contract and he will push Rocca hard. Rocca had the worst net punting average in the league last year so he will have to clearly beat out Malone, who will cost some $700,000 less.
G Chris Chester (31.0)—Chester’s performance fell off considerably in 2013 and his cap number of $4.3 million makes him a candidate to be a cap casualty. Ideally the Redskins would like to have 2012 draft picks Josh LeRibeus and/or Adam Gettis to be able to step into the spot but it remains to be seen if they can.
C Will Montgomery (30.9)—His play in 2013 didn’t necessarily scream for an upgrade but the Redskins could do better. His cap number is $3.4 million and a solid veteran center isn’t going to cost much less than that. LeRibeus or Gettis could challenge at his position, too.
DE Kedric Golston (30.7)—If Santana Moss and Reed Doughty are not re-signed, Golston will be the longest-tenured Redskin. He came on board in the 2006 draft. His cap number is a fairly low $1.2 million but he is still subject to being replaced by someone younger and cheaper.
S Brandon Meriweather (30.0)—He may be able to opt out of his contract but for right now he’s the fifth oldest player on the roster. If the Redskins think he’ll be the starter, he’ll stay. If not, his $3.4 million cap number will have to go.
—Former Redskins running back Timmy Smith, who rushed for a Super Bowl record 204 yards in the team’s Super Bowl XXII win over Denver, was born on this date in 1964.
—It’s been 26 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 226 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 26; NFL Free agency starts 46; NFL Draft 104
In case you missed it
- Low QB salaries won’t last long
- Redskins’ Haslett wants Orakpo, Hall to be re-signed
- Haslett hopes influx of underclassmen helps Redskins
- Sundberg wants PAT moved back, not eliminated
- Five free agent safeties the Redskins could target
Is familiarity a good thing on the Redskins coaching staff?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins 2014 Schedule: Dates, times, TV info released
- We (reportedly) have 1/8 of the Redskins 2014 schedule
- Redskins Pulse: NFL schedule released
- RG3 will drive at RIR on Saturday
- Who will assume Fletcher's leadership role on the Redskins?
- Draft chatter: 30 players invited to NFL draft in New York
- OPEN THREAD: Where does Alfred Morris rate?
- NFL schedule release date announced
- Five players the Redskins should hope slide down in the draft
- Dan Snyder on DeSean Jackson: 'He’s really a good guy'