Jan 23, 2014, 4:51 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, January 23, 74 days before the Redskins start offseason workouts.
The Redskins likely will need to add at least one safety who can start for them this year in free agency. Here are five who might fit their needs and their budget:
1. Taylor Mays, CIN—He has been inconsistent and injured, including a shoulder injury that ended his 2013 season early. But Jay Gruden was in the building with him for three years in Cincinnati and although he didn’t coach him he likely has a good feel for him. At 6-3, 231 he could be a good, inexpensive way to start building that Seahawks-like secondary everyone wants.
2. Chris Clemons, MIA—Clemons almost got tagged by the Dolphins a year ago but they agreed to a one-year contract instead. Maybe he’s not the ball hawk the Redskins want (4 INT in four seasons) but he’s a solid tackler and smart player. Age is a bit of a drawback as he will be 29 shortly after the season starts. But for the right terms he could be a solid stopgap until the Redskins can draft and develop a starter.
3. Michael Mitchell, CAR—I can guarantee you that if the Redskins sign him, Twitter will explode with “Who’s he?” He’s not even a household name in the Mitchell household but he was a key member of the Panthers’ strong defense. Mitchell picked off four passes and recorded four sacks last year. This could be a moderate-term solution as he turns 27 in June.
4. Stevie Brown, NYG—After missing all of the 2013 season with an ACL tear suffered in a preseason game Brown could be something of a gamble. But he picked off eight passes in 2012, his only full season as a starter. Will turn 27 before the season starts.
5. Kendrick Lewis, KC—Started 15 games for the Chiefs. He’s not a player who is going to make highlight show appearances on a regular basis but he is solid and, at the right price, Lewis would be an upgrade.
—It’s been 25 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 227 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 27; NFL Free agency starts; NFL Draft 105
In case you missed it
- Haz says Skins will stick with 3-4
- Gruden intends to let RG3 ‘be himself’
- Will the Redskins put the franchise tag on Brian Orakpo?
- LB Borland a prospect for Redskins to watch at Senior Bowl
- Redskins draft rewind: QB Kirk Cousins
- Five free agents the Redskins are unlikely to sign
Tandler on Redskins Nation
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins will stay in house to fill needs at cornerback
- Trent Williams 'optimistic' about playing in Indy
- Robert Griffin III addresses media for first time since benching
- Despite No. 3 status, Cousins remains confident
- Gruden: Allen, Snyder 'all on board' with decision to bench RG3
- Can Colt McCoy get the Redskins offense going?
- Production the bottom line in RG3 decision
- Gruden, Redskins react to RG3's benching
- Redskins teammates 'surprised' by RG3's benching
- McCoy: 'I don't know if I was benched, per se'