Jan 21, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Roger Goodell thinks that the point after touchdown kick is too easy and the league is thinking about abolishing it.
“The extra point is almost automatic,” Goodell said on NFL Network on Monday. “I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd (attempts). So it’s a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play.”
How automatic is the PAT kick? Even the Redskins, who had the worst special teams in the league by almost any measure, didn’t miss one, going 33 for 33 during the 2013 season. Since 1994 the league has been successful 99.1 percent of the time.
Goodell said that he liked one proposal that would make a touchdown worth seven points. After scoring a TD a team could opt to take the seven points or to try to run or pass for another point. However, if they are unsuccessful in the attempt they would lose a point and go back to six.
One obstacle to such a move could be player contracts. Some have incentive clauses that pay bonuses for leading the league in scoring. This system would make it easier for an offensive player to lead in scoring because touchdowns would be worth seven points instead of six and the lost easy points from kicking PAT’s would make it more difficult for a kicker to do so.
I’m sure they could figure out a way around this and any other issues that may pop up. Talking about this is a trial balloon by Goodell and if it gets a positive reaction the kinks will be worked out and it will happen. Perhaps it won’t happen in 2014 but it could happen sooner rather than later.
What do you think? Should the NFL eliminate the PAT kick? Or is this something that ain’t broke so don’t fix it.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Will we see Robert or RG3 on Sunday?
- Why did the Redskins wait to bring back RG3?
- What does RG3's return do for fantasy value of others?
- Redskins Nation: Griffin ready to go
- Gruden believes that Griffin is ready to play
- Breeland injures knee in practice, questionable for Sunday
- RG3 spent time during rehab studying the elite QBs
- RG3 doesn't think he'll be too nervous in return
- RG3 discusses the 'rust' factor
- Gruden speaks on RG3's week of practice