Jan 21, 2014, 4:45 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, January 21, 49 days before NFL free agency starts.
Let’s take a look at five receivers the Redskins could pursue in free agency:
1. Julian Edelman, NE (2013 stats 105 rec/1056 yds/6 TDs)—Santana Moss is unlikely to be back and Edelman is quite capable of playing Moss’ slot position. Jay Gruden’s Bengals generally employed bigger receivers and Edelman has decent height at
6-feet even (correction: most have Edelman listed at 5-10).
2. Jerome Simpson, MIN (48/726/1)—Jay Gruden has some good information on him as he was the Bengals’ offensive coordinator when Simpson was there. He has had some off-field issues running afoul of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy that might make some teams shy away. They also could drive down his asking price.
3. Golden Tate, SEA (64/898/5)—We can add punt returns to his stat line here as he brought back 51 punts for an average of 11.5 yards. That’s not a spectacular average but it would have represented a quantum leap in production from what the Redskins had in 2013. Tate may be a bit too costly for the Redskins this year but the return skills could justify overpaying for him.
4. James Jones, GB (59/817/3)—Jones will be 30 before the season starts and hemay have lost a step so he would have to come at a reduced rate. He certainly appears to have something left in the tank; he’s just a season removed from a 14-touchdown season in 2012.
5. Andrew Hawkins, CIN (12/199/0)—There are a few issues here—he wasn’t very productive last year, he’s only 5-7 and he’s a restricted free agent. But he does bring an element of speed, something the Redskins don’t have enough of. And he did have a very productive 2012 season (51/533/4) so he has demonstrated that he can get it done. If they tender him at a level that doesn’t require any compensation, Gruden may encourage Bruce Allen to make a bid for him.
—It’s been 23 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 229 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 29; Offseason workouts start 76; NFL Draft 107
In case you missed it
- Senior Bowl week kicks off
- Salary cap review: Redskins have flexibility on offensive line
- Redskins officially hire Ike Hilliard as WR coach
- Gruden to skip Senior Bowl
- What the Redskins can learn from Sunday’s games
- Morris pick pays quick dividends
Follow Us On Twitter
- Report: Former Redskins coach Steve Spurrier will retire
- Jay Gruden calls fourth-quarter play call 'awful'
- Gruden: Falcons’ game-winning pick six ‘an unfortunate play’
- Gruden on what happened on Cousins' interception in OT
- Gruden on why the Redskins' rushing attack has been ineffective
- Another cornerback joins the Redskins' injury list
- EL-BASHIR: Evidence mounting that culture is changing for Redskins
- Williams illustrates toughness that the Redskins are looking for
- Putting Gruden's coaching decisions under the microscope
- Since earning 'MoJo' moniker, Morris and Jones have been quiet