Jan 19, 2014, 7:06 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, January 19, 51 days before NFL free agency starts.
Here is a look at Joe Gibbs’ five appearances in the NFC championship game:
1982 (season) vs. Cowboys—I don’t care how loud they say it’s going to get today in Seattle, it won’t be louder than it was in RFK Stadium after Darryl Grant high-stepped into the end zone after he gathered in a Gary Hogeboom pass that Dexter Manley had tipped into the air. That play clinched the home team’s 31-17 win and sent the Redskins to Pasadena, where they won their first Super Bowl.
1983 vs. 49ers—RFK was rocking again as the Redskins took a 21-0 lead into the fourth quarter. But Joe Montana was, well, Joe Montana and he threw three touchdown passes to tie the game. The Redskins pulled out a 24-21 win on Mark Moseley’s late field goal from 25 yards out.
1986 at Giants—Many Redskins fans have blocked their team’s appearance against the Giants in windswept Giants Stadium out of their memories. But the record shows that Bill Parcells took the wind advantage when his team won the toss and took a 10-0 first-quarter lead that never was seriously threatened. New York won 17-0.
1987 vs. Vikings—The underdog Vikings were able to hang around all game and tied it up at 10 with a fourth-quarter field goal. Then the Redskins’ offense did its job, driving to a seven-yard touchdown pass from Doug Williams to Gary Clark for a 17-10. The Vikings put a scare into the RFK crowd with a late drive. With 56 seconds left, Wade Wilson’s pass from the Washington six bounced out of Darrin Nelson’s hands and the Redskins were Super Bowl bound.
1991 vs. Lions—The Redskins had opened up the season with a 45-0 win over the Lions and not much changed between then and their 18th game of the season. On the scoreboard this was a game at halftime as the Redskins’ lead was only 17-10. But Gibbs’ fourth trip to the Super Bowl was inevitable and the Redskins outscored Detroit 24-0 in the second half to take a 41-10 win.
In case you missed it
- Is Gruden the right man?
- Five items on Jay Gruden’s to-do list
- How would Eric Decker look in Burgundy and Gold?
- Redskins dispute report that they failed to cancel interviews
- Redskins free agency prospects: 49ers vs. Panthers
- Draft rewind: Richard Crawford
- Skins’ Morris still not guaranteed of spot in Pro Bowl
- Report: Redskins fire 3 including RB coach Turner
- Redskins get extra workout time
- Which Redskins stay and who goes?
- Redskins are out of cap jail
- Redskins facing contract choices with Kerrigan
- Is a Super Bowl hero returning to the Redskins?
- Jordan Reed named to PFWA all-rookie team
- Redskins draft rewind: Maurice Hurt
- Five things the Redskins can learn from last weekend’s games
- Starting job in cards for Compton?
- Can Skins afford a WR?
- REPORT: Kyle Shanahan interviews with Ravens
- Redskins hire Jets’ Ben Kotwica for special teams
- Redskins announce hiring of OLB coach Brian Baker
- Redskins draft rewind: Evan Royster
- Five Redskins salary cap bargains
- Did they pick the right Bengal?
- Meet your new offensive coordinator (VIDEO)
- Redskins keep Raheem Morris, name two others
- Redskins draft rewind: WR Aldrick Robinson
- Report: Skins interviewing Cowboys’ assistant Wes Phillips
- Redskins draft rewind: Adam Gettis
- Morris has one more shot at the Pro Bowl
- Five priorities for new Redskins coaches
- As expected, it’s Haslett
- Redskins RB Alfred Morris is Pro Bowl bound
- Wes Phillips’ dad tweets that son has been hired by Redskins
- Tracking and analyzing the Redskins’ coaching staff moves
- Morris chosen for Redskins’ Walter Payton Award
- Redskins draft rewind: TE Niles Paul
- Five things the Redskins need to do to beat the NFC East
- Back to the power game?
- Playoff predictions: 49ers-Seahawks, Patriots-Broncos
- Redskins draft rewind: LB Keenan Robinson
- Can Garçon still make the Pro Bowl?
- Will loss of QB coach affect Eagles’ Nick Foles?
Follow Us On Twitter
- OPEN THREAD: Should McCoy really play all game vs Jacksonville?
- No NFL discipline for Crowder following abuse allegation
- Bubble players to make closing argument when Redskins host Jags
- RG3 appears in new TV ad, pulls a fast one on Sam Bradford
- RG3, Jackson receive awards at annual Redskins luncheon
- Wife of McCloughan apologizes for 'disparaging remarks' about ESPN reporter
- Tandler predicts the 53-man roster on Redskins Nation
- Jeff Bostic joins Redskins Nation to talk about entering Ring of Fame
- Garcon thinks RG3 can be great 'on any team he goes'
- Five reasons the Redskins should keep RG3 on the roster