Jan 18, 2014, 5:36 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, January 18, 52 days before NFL free agency starts.
A Pro Bowl spot for Garçon?
Could a Denver Broncos win over the Patriots send another Redskins offensive player to the Pro Bowl to join Alfred Morris and Trent Williams?
It was announced today that DeSean Jackson of the Eagles will replace the Texans’ Andre Johnson on the Pro Bowl roster. Jackson is the second alternate to get a trip to Hawaii. Alshon Jeffrey got the nod earlier this month after Calvin Johnson bailed out do to some nagging injuries.
Jeffrey and Jackson were named earlier as alternates to the Pro Bowl. So was Pierre Garçon of the Redskins. With two of the alternates already going to Hawaii, Garçon may be next in line.
Unfortunately, the NFL does not produce a depth chart of Pro Bowl alternates; we usually don’t find out where on the list a given player ranks until a player drops out and we see who is added to the roster.
One more player could drop out. One of the eight receivers on the roster is Demaryius Thomas of the Broncos. If his team beats the Patriots on Sunday Thomas will be headed to the Super Bowl in New York and not to the Pro Bowl in Hawaii. That would create an opening.
And, since the players are not selected by conference—“unconferenced” was the word the NFL invented for that concept—whoever is next in line is up for the week in Hawaii.
That could be Garçon. He set a Redskins record with 113 receptions this year, a total that also led the NFL. Garçon finished eighth in the NFL in receiving yards. All seven players ahead of Garçon in yardage are either in the Pro Bowl or, in the case of Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson, withdrew due to injuries.
If the Broncos win, we should find out on Monday if Garçon is next in line.
Outside linebacker Brian Orakpo and cornerback DeAngelo Hall also are alternates. Orakpo could get a call if the 49ers win, sending Ahmad Brooks to the Super Bowl. Hall might get a shot if the Patriots advance taking Aqib Talib with them.
—It’s been 20 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 232 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 32; Offseason workouts start 79; NFL Draft 110
In case you missed it
- As expected, it’s Haslett
- Redskins RB Alfred Morris is Pro Bowl bound
- Wes Phillips’ dad tweets that son has been hired by Redskins
- Tracking and analyzing the Redskins’ coaching staff moves
- Morris chosen for Redskins’ Walter Payton Award
- Redskins draft rewind: TE Niles Paul
- Five things the Redskins need to do to beat the NFC East
Morris excited to play for McVay
Follow Us On Twitter
- Top 5: Skins already looking ahead to 2015 free agents?
- CSN's Redskins draft board: Tight end
- Need to Know: The five best Redskins performances of the last 20 seasons
- RG3, DeSean Jackson share a night out on the town (PHOTO)
- OPEN THREAD: RG3 back in old form?
- Chris Baker happy to be back with the Redskins (VIDEO)
- Brian Orakpo previews 2014 defense(VIDEO)
- CSN Mock Draft 9.0: Redskins go offense or defense?
- Who are the winners and losers in the Jackson deal?
- Draft chatter: On the Redskins' radar?