Jan 15, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Brian Baker as Outside Linebackers Coach.
Baker joins the Redskins with 30 years of coaching experience to his credit, the last 18 of which have come at the NFL level. Last season, he served as the Cleveland Browns’ outside linebackers coach, helping the Browns finish third in the AFC and ninth in the NFL in total defense (332.4 yards per game).
Baker’s NFL coaching pedigree includes stints with the Dallas Cowboys (2011-12), Carolina Panthers (2009-10), St. Louis Rams (2006-08), Minnesota Vikings (2001-05), Detroit Lions (1997-2000) and San Diego Chargers (1996). Among the players selected to the Pro Bowl from Baker’s units throughout his career are Jay Ratliff, Julius Peppers, Kevin Williams, Robert Porcher and Luther Elliss. Baker also contributed to the Pro Bowl selections of linebackers DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer as part of his responsibilities overseeing the pass rush in Dallas.
Baker, 51, started his career at the University of Maryland, where he played linebacker from 1980-83 and then helped coach outside linebackers as a student coach and graduate assistant from 1984-85. His collegiate background also includes coaching positions at the United States Military Academy at West Point (1986) and Georgia Tech (1987-95).
BAKER FOOTBALL TIMELINE
- 1980-83: Linebacker, Maryland
- 1984: Student Coach, Maryland
- 1985: Graduate Assistant, Maryland
- 1986: Fullbacks Coach, Army
- 1987-94 Linebackers Coach, Georgia Tech
- 1995: Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach, Georgia Tech
- 1996: Defensive Line Coach, San Diego Chargers
- 1997-2000: Defensive Line Coach, Detroit Lions
- 2001: Defensive Line Coach, Minnesota Vikings
- 2002-03: Linebackers Coach, Minnesota Vikings
- 2004-05: Defensive Line Coach, Minnesota Vikings
- 2006-08: Defensive Line Coach, St. Louis Rams
- 2009-10: Defensive Line Coach, Carolina Panthers
- 2011-12: Defensive Line Coach, Dallas Cowboys
- 2013: Outside Linebackers Coach, Cleveland Browns
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Kirk Cousins consults current and former NFL starters for advice
- Need to Know: Redskins couldn't take advantage of fumble recoveries
- Kirk Cousins is excited about Jamison Crowder's growth, Josh Doctson's potential
- Quality of Redskins' receiving corps may hinge on Doctson's learning curve
- Redskins teammates give Jordan Reed a hard time for new big-money contract
- Redskins' David Bruton excited to get 'first crack' at starting safety job
- Months later, Redskins ILB Perry Riley still battling foot injury
- Need to Know: Cousins talks of Redskins' need for 'sustained success'
- Before signing Josh Norman, Redskins had sights set on Brandon Browner
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'