Jan 15, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Brian Baker as Outside Linebackers Coach.
Baker joins the Redskins with 30 years of coaching experience to his credit, the last 18 of which have come at the NFL level. Last season, he served as the Cleveland Browns’ outside linebackers coach, helping the Browns finish third in the AFC and ninth in the NFL in total defense (332.4 yards per game).
Baker’s NFL coaching pedigree includes stints with the Dallas Cowboys (2011-12), Carolina Panthers (2009-10), St. Louis Rams (2006-08), Minnesota Vikings (2001-05), Detroit Lions (1997-2000) and San Diego Chargers (1996). Among the players selected to the Pro Bowl from Baker’s units throughout his career are Jay Ratliff, Julius Peppers, Kevin Williams, Robert Porcher and Luther Elliss. Baker also contributed to the Pro Bowl selections of linebackers DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer as part of his responsibilities overseeing the pass rush in Dallas.
Baker, 51, started his career at the University of Maryland, where he played linebacker from 1980-83 and then helped coach outside linebackers as a student coach and graduate assistant from 1984-85. His collegiate background also includes coaching positions at the United States Military Academy at West Point (1986) and Georgia Tech (1987-95).
BAKER FOOTBALL TIMELINE
- 1980-83: Linebacker, Maryland
- 1984: Student Coach, Maryland
- 1985: Graduate Assistant, Maryland
- 1986: Fullbacks Coach, Army
- 1987-94 Linebackers Coach, Georgia Tech
- 1995: Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach, Georgia Tech
- 1996: Defensive Line Coach, San Diego Chargers
- 1997-2000: Defensive Line Coach, Detroit Lions
- 2001: Defensive Line Coach, Minnesota Vikings
- 2002-03: Linebackers Coach, Minnesota Vikings
- 2004-05: Defensive Line Coach, Minnesota Vikings
- 2006-08: Defensive Line Coach, St. Louis Rams
- 2009-10: Defensive Line Coach, Carolina Panthers
- 2011-12: Defensive Line Coach, Dallas Cowboys
- 2013: Outside Linebackers Coach, Cleveland Browns
Follow Us On Twitter
- On eve of Redskins training camp, Kerrigan describes Galette injury 'shocking' and 'heartbreaking'
- Ranking the Redskins Part 5 (53-6): Filling the hole left by Galette's injury
- Conflicting reports on whether Redskins are considering Greg Hardy
- Finlay: Excited to take over as Redskins Insider
- Bashaud Breeland leads pack of tiny bulldogs into Redskins camp
- Loss of Jarrett to injury will have long term effects on Redskins defense
- OPEN THREAD: Loss of Junior Galette not cause for panic - right?
- Need to Know: 5 Redskins with a lot to prove as training camp approaches
- DeAngelo Hall to be inducted into Virginia Tech Hall of Fame
- Redskins' outside LB depth chart looking thin after Galette injury