Jan 12, 2014, 6:02 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, January 12, 58 days from the start of NFL free agency.
Here are five things on Jay Gruden’s to-do list:
1. Hire assistant coaches—All signs still point to Jim Haslett remaining at defensive coordinator and Sean McVay moving up to offensive coordinator. But there are key vacancies at position jobs such as linebackers and quarterbacks and Gruden needs to decide if he is going to retain holdover coaches for the offensive line (Chris Foerster), defensive line (Jacob Burney) and at other positions.
2. Find a special team coordinator—I broke this one out separately from the other assistant coaches because it is so important. Gruden needs to find a coach who has a plan and, most importantly, can sell it to the players. Picking the right one will be critical in determining the success or failure of his first season here.
3. Evaluate current personnel—Free agency starts in less than two months. A key part of that process is to evaluate the players you have on the roster and figure out who you want to keep and, in the case of free agents, how much you want to pay them.
4. Set the offseason schedule—Some of the schedule is set by the NFL. The NFL Combine starts February 19, the draft will be held from May 8-10. Gruden needs to schedule other events like OTAs and minicamps.
5. Senior Bowl—Gruden said that he was leaning towards not going to the first big draft-related event of the year. It could depend on how far along he is in getting his staff assembled. If he doesn’t go, the Redskins contingent will keep him updated on what they find there.
—It’s been 14 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 238 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL free agency 58; Offseason workouts start 85; 2014 NFL Draft 116
In case you missed it
- Bruce is about to get busy
- Redskins officially interview Ravens Jim Caldwell
- Redskins free agency prospects: 49ers vs. Packers, Chargers at Bengals
- Report: Jay Gruden leader for Redskins job
- Report: Redskins interested in Chargers’ Whisenhunt
- Redskins coaching search reset Sunday 01.05.13
- Five things the Redskins must do better in 2014
- In depth: Perry Fewell
- Redskins interview requests: Fangio, Fraklin, Roman, Gruden & Zimmer
- Redskins in search of a rising star
- Redskins coaching search reset Monday 01.06.13
- Jay Gruden’s epic Hard Knocks rant
- Another stunning hire on tap?
- RG3 voted Redskins’ Ed Block Courage Award recipient
- Skins sign former Baylor, Panthers WR Gettis to futures contract
- Coaching candidate profiles: McDermott, Bevell
- Mike Munchak to interview for Detroit HC job
- Redskins coaching search reset 01.07.13
- Five Redskins draft picks with opportunities in 2014
- Starting a bidding war?
- Hall talks about dysfunction
- Redskins interested in talking to Danny Smith about coaching job
- Gibbs thinks Whisenhunt is a great candidate
- Jay Gruden, the read option, and Dalton vs. Keapernick
- Caldwell has Super Bowl experience
- Coaching search reset Wednesday
- Five Redskins on the bubble in 2014
- It’s Gruden
- Gruden says RG3 is the starter, no QB competition for Redskins
- Redskins’ Gruden: ‘I love the 3-4′
- Gruden ‘loves’ the read option
- Gruden has yet to meet RG3
- Jon Gruden proud of his brother Jay
- Report: No RG3 involvement in Redskins’ coaching search
- The Jay Gruden file
- London Fletcher says RG3 had full player support
- London Fletcher unsure of Gruden hire
- A shakeup in the secondary?
- Playoff predictions: IND vs. NE, NO vs. SEA
- Morocco Brown interviews in Tampa
- Garçon on RG3: ‘He’s a fun guy’
- Gruden will have role on personnel but Allen has final say
- Flashback: Gruden outwits Haslett
- Five notes and quotes from Jay Gruden’s intro presser
- RG3’s work ethic questioned
- Comparing the 2013 Bengals and Redskins
- Redskins free agency prospects: Colts vs. Patriots
- Redskins could use help from Seattle D-line
- Reports: Skins’ Gruden interested in talking to Guenther
- Playoff predictions: 49ers-Panthers, Chargers-Broncos
Follow Us On Twitter
- Fantasy Fix: Vikings conquer Week 5 waiver wire
- Redskins stock up-stock down
- Redskins Q&A: When will RG3 return?
- Redskins bringing back 2012 draft pick
- Redskins add help to struggling secondary
- Redskins snap counts vs. Giants--Some garbage-time snaps
- Redskins need to increase takeaways
- Fantasy Fix: Relaxed Aaron Rodgers, QBs rock Week 4
- DeAngelo Hall has surgery on Achilles' tendon
- Who will fill the Redskins' two open roster spots?