Jan 11, 2014, 5:59 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, January 11, 59 days from the start of NFL free agency.
Here are five areas on offense where Jay Gruden’s Cincinnati Bengals ranked considerably better than the Redskins in 2013:
1. Sacks per pass attempt: Andy Dalton was sacked on 4.9 percent of his pass attempts, the third-best in the league. Redskins QB’s were sacked on 7.0 percent of their attempts, 13th in the league.
2. Passing yards/play: This takes yardage lost to sacks into account. The Bengals averaged 7.05 yards/pass play, 10th in the NFL while Washington averaged 6.14, 23rd.
3. Fourth down conversion percentage: This is not a major category but these are usually critical plays and a team frequently converts them as much on the play call as they do on physical talent. Cincinnati converted 12 of 21 (57.1%), 11th in the league. The Redskins were 6 of 20 (30%), ranked 28th.
4. Red zone percentage: The Bengals shined in this area, converting 73.9 percent of their red zone opportunities into touchdowns. That was second in the league. The Redskins converted 52 percent of the time, tied for 20th.
5. Goal to go percentage: When the Bengals got a first down at the ten yard line or closer they were close to automatic, getting at TD 84 percent of the time, best in the NFL. The Redskins managed to punch it in 73.1 percent of the time, 13th in the league.
—It’s been 13 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 239 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL free agency 59; Offseason workouts start 86; 2014 NFL Draft 117
In case you missed it
- A shakeup in the secondary?
- Playoff predictions: IND vs. NE, NO vs. SEA
- Morocco Brown interviews in Tampa
- Garçon on RG3: ‘He’s a fun guy’
- Gruden will have role on personnel but Allen has final say
- Flashback: Gruden outwits Haslett
- Five notes and quotes from Jay Gruden’s intro presser
Gruden talks about his humble beginnings
Follow Us On Twitter
- NTK: The Redskins week that was—Moss' top five, final word on Cousins contract
- Kirk Cousins has same odds of winning 2016/17 NFL MVP as Mark Sanchez
- Longtime NFL coach Dennis Green dead at 67; honored by Redskins great
- Eight Redskins recognized for offseason work
- Josh Norman hopes Odell Beckham Jr. circled his calendar
- Colin Cowherd again trolls D.C. athlete - but this time it's Kirk Cousins
- Redskins release veteran linebacker Hayward
- OPEN THREAD: Examining ket stats to improve the Redskins run game
- Need to Know: Pressure is on Redskins' Scherff to perform at a high level very quickly
- Josh Norman to Odell Beckham: Don't know how to respond other than laugh