Jan 9, 2014, 4:57 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, January 9, Day 11 of the Redskins’ search for a new head coach.
Beware of smokescreens
Every year as the NFL draft approaches, I make it part of my civic duty to warn fans that the closer the draft gets the more likely it is that anything you hear is a lie. Smokescreens are as common in April as tulips.
It’s time for another public service announcement. When the coaching carousel is turning, it’s also lying season.
I hit on this a bit yesterday when discussing Mark Maske’s report that Jay Gruden might prefer to work for the Titans rather than the Redskins. Many fans took this tidbit to be the gospel truth and started complaining about getting into a bidding war and wondering why the Redskins would want a coach who would rather be somewhere else.
But tap brakes here a bit. Where did this “information” come from? It had to come from Gruden’s camp, right? I mean, is he going to tell the Redskins that he’s rather be in Tennessee and, even if he does say that, why would the Redskins push that out to the media?
It’s the oldest trick in the book and it’s been around for so long because it works. It looks like Gruden has two teams that want him. The Titans know they are up against Daniel Snyder, who has some of the deepest pockets in the league and a willingness to empty them out to get what he wants. And the Redskins have now heard that Gruden might prefer Tennessee. Each team had better come forward with its best offer.
Now, the Redskins know every trick in the book themselves. They know that this is “information” coming from the Gruden camp. But Gruden might actually rather be in Nashville than in Ashburn so they can ignore the leak at their own peril.
The lesson for fans is to not hang to and react (or overreact) to every report that comes out. There is a good chance that your blood pressure is going up over something that is not true in the first place.
—It’s been 11 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 241 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL free agency 61; Offseason workouts start 88; 2014 NFL Draft 119
In case you missed it
- Starting a bidding war?
- Hall talks about dysfunction
- Redskins interested in talking to Danny Smith about coaching job
- Gibbs thinks Whisenhunt is a great candidate
- Jay Gruden, the read option, and Dalton vs. Keapernick
- Caldwell has Super Bowl experience
- Coaching search reset Wednesday
- Five Redskins on the bubble in 2014
Tandler on Redskins Nation
Follow Us On Twitter
- How many tight ends will the Redskins carry on 53-man roster?
- Fact or Fiction: Redskins’ special teams units will continue to improve
- Josh Norman earns respect from peers, sets new 'Top 100' standard for Redskins
- A $20 million yearly average is now the floor for a Cousins deal
- Need to Know: Are the Cowboys the Redskins' biggest threat in the NFC East?
- Adam Schefter: Kirk Cousins contract extension 'too difficult to do'
- What Andrew Luck's new monster contract means for Kirk Cousins
- What is Kirk Cousins trying to say with this anniversary tweet
- Redskins true or false: Josh Norman will repeat as an All-Pro
- Position preview: Redskins looking for a Plan B at center