Gruden’s the guy, press conference at 4:00

Jan 9, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT

Jay-Gruden-headset

As you almost certainly know by now, Jay Gruden has agreed to become the Redskins’ new head coach. The team has announced that there will be a press conference to announce the hire today at 4:00 p.m.

We’ll have updates and analysis all day on CSNwashington.com so check both there and here for updates.

And, of course, feel free to leave your comments and questions below.

1. kenlinkins - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:56 AM

The general feeling in Ohio (Cincinnati and Columbus) is that “The Redskins can have him”. I am not sure what G.M. Allen is thinking here. This is Jay Gruden , not his brother Jon we are getting as the next head coach. We move the TE coach to O.C. maybe we are on a real youth movement here, coaching included! Well, all we can do is hope Jay Gruden can do a better job winning games than Mike Shanahan. Welcome to the Washington Redskins Coach Gruden and may I suggest that you replace the Redskins helmet logo back to the “Spear” or even the “Feather” as a way of “marking” your gaining the Head Coaching job. Good Luck!

2. Rich Tandler - Jan 9, 2014 at 11:04 AM

A few things:
    –It’s not like the Redskins are the only team that thought Gruden was a candidate to be a head coach. He had another two interviews scheduled this year and he had 4 last year.

–One thing I’ve learned is that virtually every fan base hates its team’s offensive coordinator. Everyone thinks that they can call plays better than the guy who is doing it. I place zero credence in fan sentiment on this topic.

–Vince Lombardi wasn’t going to walk through the door. No guarantee that he succeeds but there isn’t one with anyone else either. We’ll see.

• fastwb - Jan 9, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I agree that there isn’t a guaranteed winner out there. I believe their best bet is to gamble on a promising young coach and hope he pans out.

3. colmac69 - Jan 9, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Hopefully he gets time to lmplement his plans….like the fact that he an off coach, b interesting to hear his thots on current squad,,,, not sure bout haslett staying as def coach as most reports say but then perhaps a few free agents to upgrade defense will see better results. …with a few other teams looking to speak to him its obvious that he highly regarded…time will tell

4. fastwb - Jan 9, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I do like that there appears to be a good chance of actually having some continuity in what is normally a situation that has anything but. Jay has worked with Bruce before for years. The same for Sean Mcvay who was retained after being the tight ends coach last season and it looks like he will be the new OC. He’s even worked with Haslett when he was in the UFL. He also worked with Raheem Morris in Tampa as well so there will be a good bit of continuity from last season as well as familiarity between those coaches who were already here and the new head coach. The more I think about it the more I like it! My biggest concern with canning Shanahan was the turmoil that usually results from a coaching change. Despite the results this season, I still don’t think they are that far away from being a good team. I was afraid hitting the reset button would set them back another couple of years. Keep hope alive! HTTR!