Jan 8, 2014, 4:58 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, January 8, Day 10 of the Redskins’ search for a new head coach.
Last week we looked at some potential Redskins salary cap casualties. There are some other players whose roster spots are in danger due to reasons not related to finances. Here is a look at five who have some work to do if they are going to stick around in 2014.
1. RB Evan Royster—He showed some promise near the end of his rookie season but he hasn’t done much since. A speedy Chris Thompson or a bargain free agent could knock him off the roster.
2. OL Josh LeRibeus—The new coaching staff will certainly be brought up to speed on how LeRibeus reported out of shape last year and never caught up. If he’s not in shape when the offseason program starts in early April he might not make it to OTAs.
3. OL Maurice Hurt—He spent all of last year on the PUP list after getting a knee scope before minicamp. Nobody was quite sure why he remained on the roster and he will need to give the incoming coaches a reason to keep him around.
4. CB Chase Minnifield—Finally healthy, he showed flashes of promise during training camp but he was inconsistent and landed on the practice squad. Minnifield will have to show more long stretches of competence and some strong special teams ability if he is going to stick around.
5. RB Jawan Jamison—Mike Shanahan took a flyer on him in the seventh round even though the team didn’t need a running back. He didn’t display the quick moves and pop we saw in his highlight tapes at any point. Like Royster, he could easily be crowded off of the roster.
—On this date in 2008, Joe Gibbs announced his second retirement as coach of the Redskins.
—It’s been 10 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 242 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL free agency 63; Offseason workouts start 89; 2014 NFL Draft 120
In case you missed it
- Another stunning hire on tap?
- RG3 voted Redskins’ Ed Block Courage Award recipient
- Skins sign former Baylor, Panthers WR Gettis to futures contract
- Coaching candidate profiles: McDermott, Bevell
- Mike Munchak to interview for Detroit HC job
- Redskins coaching search reset 01.07.13
- Five Redskins draft picks with opportunities in 2014
Florio thinks that Allen has made up his mind
Follow Us On Twitter
- Running back Marshall expected to miss 3 weeks with elbow injury
- Comfort level the key for Redskins' Smith as he looks for a big season
- Redskins' starting defense is sharp in small preseason sample of work
- NTK: The Redskins week that was—Roster bubble ready to pop for many
- Bryan Stork clarifies next move after days of speculation with Redskins
- Redskins cut 10 players before Tuesday deadline
- Reports: News encouraging for injured Redskins LB Ryan Kerrigan after MRI
- Cowboys fans biggest fear - Major injury strikes Tony Romo in preseason
- Former Redskins safety Dashon Goldson to work out with Falcons
- Ryan Kerrigan's early exit vs Bills shows Redskins lack of depth at edge rusher