Jan 6, 2014, 5:37 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, January 6, 122 days before the NFL draft.
Offense or defense? How about neither?
Jay Gruden appears to be a strong candidate for the Redskins’ head coaching job, perhaps the favorite to land the position.
When Bruce Allen talked about his ideal candidate for the job, he twice mentioned that he wanted a coach with “fire in his belly”. Does Jay Gruden fill the bill? Read this rant that was captured during last summer’s Hard Knocks series on HBO (h/t NFL.com for the transcript).
“Some of the s— that happened yesterday you wouldn’t expect on the first day of rookie OTAs. We had three dropped snaps and a couple things that were my fault. That is Mickey Mouse horse—- football right there, and we all had our hand in it. Everybody had their hand in it, and it can’t happen for us to be as good as we want to be. Ever.
“I can handle a drop every now and then. I can handle a guy beating you with a good pass-rush move. I can handle certain things, but I can’t handle mental f—ups time and time again. Andy (Dalton)’s been a quarterback here for three f—— years and hasn’t had one dropped snap. Not one. We had three in one day!
“Concentration, poise. You gotta have it on every snap in this game. Otherwise, you’re going to get your ass beat time and time again. You’re going to be 18th-ranked in offense. You’re going to be 9-7 or 8-8, and you’re going to be f—–‘ watching the playoffs at home every year. Yesterday, we took a major step backwards, and now today, we gotta take two steps forward.
“You gotta have great attention to detail, not just on Sundays. On Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesday, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. If you want to mull around at .500, f—–‘ then come out here and f— around and f— up. But if you want to be great, then you have to set your standards high and come out and go after it every f—–‘ day.”
Sounds like a lot of fire in that belly to me.
—On this date in 1971, George Allen was hired at the Redskins’ head coach.
—Days until: NFL free agency 64; 2014 NFL Draft 122; 2014 Opening Sunday 244
In case you missed it
- Bruce is about to get busy
- Redskins officially interview Ravens Jim Caldwell
- Redskins free agency prospects: 49ers vs. Packers, Chargers at Bengals
- Report: Jay Gruden leader for Redskins job
- Report: Redskins interested in Chargers’ Whisenhunt
- Redskins coaching search reset Sunday 01.05.13
- Five things the Redskins must do better in 2014
DY talks about the coaching search
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins announce list of 26 players who did not travel for Buccaneers game
- Redskins vs. Buccaneers Live Updates: Week 4 score, stats, highlights
- Tropical storm pouring down rain in Tampa as game time approaches for Redskins (VIDEO)
- Redskins dress in matching Tommy Bahama shirts at Welcome Home Luncheon
- Need to Know: Some Redskins focus on Bucs, others on Steelers
- Redskins vs Buccaneers: 5 things to watch in game with major weather concerns
- Forced to make decision on rookie, Redskins move Keith Marshall to injured reserve
- After Tony Romo injury, a new odds favorite emerges in NFC East
- Redskins' Trent Williams on Stephen Paea and Perry Riley release: 'It's tough, man'
- Redskins release Perry Riley, Stephen Paea in roster trim-down