Jan 5, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, January 5, 65 days before the start of free agency.
Offense or defense? How about neither?
Here are five numbers the Redskins’ new coach is going to work to improve in 2014:
1. Defensive passing yards per play: Redskins 7.58, NFL average 6.65—This means that every time the other team drops back to pass it gains almost a yard more than the league average (this number takes yards lost by sacks into account) and over two yards more than the Seahawks and Bengals.
2. Punt return average allowed: Redskins 16.8, NFL average 9.4—We’ll just let this represent all of the special teams woes since this entire post could be made of kicking game performance that were well below the NFL average.
3. Offensive interception rate: Redskins 3.11%, NFL average 2.77%–This could be an anomaly due to Robert Griffin III’s struggles and Kirk Cousins appearing in garbage time earlier in the season and then having some issues in NFL starts number 2,3, and 4. But the turnovers have to stop.
4. Fumbles lost: Redskins 15, NFL average 9.75—The other element of the turnover equation didn’t look too good either. They didn’t have particularly bad luck in recovering fumbles; they put the ball on the ground 30 times and a 50 percent recovery rate is right around the NFL average.
5. First quarter scoring differential: Redskins minus-79 points, league average 0—The Redskins were last in the league here and one of the five worst in NFL history. A team that has to play from behind from the very beginning game after game is not going to be very successful.
—On this date in 1991, the Redskins beat the Eagles 20-6 in a Wild Card playoff game. The win was revenge for the “Body Bag” game in Philadelphia two months earlier.
—Days until: NFL free agency 65; Offseason workout start 92; 2014 NFL Draft 123
In case you missed it:
- Instant analysis: Redskins end season looking lost
- Has Brian Orakpo played his final game with Redskins?
- London Fletcher: Time kind of flew by
- Kirk Cousins: I’ve shown a lot of what I can do
- Redskins finish historically bad season
- Shanahan says he’s meeting with Snyder Monday morning
- Allen will control personnel decisions
- Redskins draft prospects in bowls: Holiday, Alamo, Music City, Armed Forces
- Redskins announce coaching dismissals
- Kyle Shanahan also fired
- Shanahan says cap hit hurt team’s chances
- Shanahan officially fired as Redskins head coach
- Redskins’ 2014 schedule set
- What’s next for the Redskins?
- Who will be the Skins’ next coach?
- Report: Redskins interview Bevell in Seattle
- Redskins sign seven to futures contracts
- Redskins NFL draft prospects in bowls: Chick-Fil-A, Liberty, Sun, AdvoCare V100
- Redskins to interview Panthers’ McDermott
- A Gruden-Allen reunion is unlikely
- Five good things from the Shanahan era
- Will Allen in charge work?
- Redskins request interview with Giants’ Fewell
- What does the future hold for Mike Shanahan?
- Redskins to interview Ravens’ OC Caldwell
- Redskins NFL draft prospects in bowls: Fiesta, Rose, Capital One, Outback, Dallas, Gator
- More college coaches in NFL mix?
- Five things that went wrong for Shanahan’s Redskins
- Will the Redskins coaching search take them back to school?
- Redskins NFL draft prospects: Sugar Bowl
- Ripple effects from Cutler deal could reach Redskins
- Redskins coaching search reset Thursday 01.02.13
- Five reasons why we can’t close the book on the Shanahan era
- A Cowboys coach for the Skins?
- Briles will stay at Baylor, won’t coach Redskins
- Redskins NFL Draft prospects: Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl
- Cowher denies rumored return to NFL
- Redskins coaching search reset 01.03.14
- Getting to know Darrell Bevell
- Five possible Redskins cap casualties
- Caldwell to interview with Skins
- Titans fire Munchak, another team joining the coach hunt
- Playoff predictions: Packers-49ers, Chargers vs. Bengals
- Free agent prospects: Colts vs. Chiefs, Saints vs. Eagles
- Redskins request interview with Vandy’s Franklin
- Redskins coaching search reset Saturday 01.04.14
- Redskins NFL draft prospects: Compass Bowl
- The Redskins’ third option
Follow Us On Twitter
- Despite 2015 success, Vegas not high on 2016 Redskins
- Eagles release wide receiver Riley Cooper
- LeSean McCoy involved in incident with off-duty police officers
- Who is ready to take the next step for the Redskins' offense in 2016?
- Salary cap may take retirement decision out of Manning's hands
- Seahawks owner confirms Lynch retirement
- After Super Bowl loss, Cam Newton didn't have much to say
- With QBs struggling, Super Bowl 50 looked like a throwback game
- Five things the Redskins can learn from the Broncos
- Bryce Harper meets Steph Curry at the Super Bowl