Jan 3, 2014, 5:51 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, January 3, 67 days before the start of free agency.
It’s a fact of life that players get cut during the offseason in order for a team to create more cap space. The presence of a new coaching staff can make for even more cap casualties. Here are five players the Redskins could consider releasing in order to create more cap room (or just to save money):
1. DE Stephen Bowen has a $4.4 million salary and a $7.02 million cap number. He ended the season on injured reserve with a knee injury after being hobbled with another knee injury in the latter part of the 2012 season. He is a team leader but his productivity does not justify his cap number. Cap savings: $1.98 million
2. G Chris Chester went from being an asset on the line in 2012 to being a liability last year. The team can find someone to do the job at right guard for less than his $3 million salary and $4.3 million cap number. Cap savings: $2.7 million
3. It’s tough to release an injured player but the Redskins face a dilemma with DE Adam Carriker. It’s still not certain that he will be able to play this season after missing last year and most of 2012 with a quad injury. It’s tough to commit a $4.7 million salary and $6.76 million in cap space to a player in his situation. Cap savings: $3.24 million
4. In the grand scheme of the NFL salary cap, $1.36 million for a player isn’t a whole lot of money. But P Sav Rocca was 29th in gross punting average and dead last in net average. Someone much younger (Sav is 40) and cheaper could get that done. Cap savings: $1.2 million
5. Again, we’re not talking about a huge amount of money here but it is hard to envision OT Tyler Polumbus starting at right tackle in 2014. And you could probably find a backup for less than the $1 million he is slated to make. Cap savings: $1 million
Stat of the day
—In 2012 the Redskins gained 6.2 yards per offensive play, tops in the NFL. This year they averaged 5.3 per play, 18th.
—On this date in 2001, Marty Schottenheimer signed a four-year contract to become the Redskins’ head coach
—Days until: NFL free agency 67; 2014 NFL Draft 125; 2014 Opening Sunday 247
In case you missed it
- Will the Redskins coaching search take them back to school?
- Redskins NFL draft prospects: Sugar Bowl
- Ripple effects from Cutler deal could reach Redskins
- Redskins coaching search reset Thursday 01.02.13
- Five reasons why we can’t close the book on the Shanahan era
Redskins casting a wide net in their coaching search
Follow Us On Twitter
- RG3: Excited for the brand of football we want to play
- RG3 disputes being "benched" last season
- RG3 on the impact DeSean Jackson will have
- 2014 Mock Draft 10.0: Clowney back on top
- Do the Redskins have enough O-line depth?
- Putting the Redskins schedule under the microscope
- OPEN THREAD: Toughest stretch for Redskins
- A guard for the Redskins at 34?
- Redskins' Wk 16 game time vs. Eagles subject to change
- 5 pivotal 2014 Redskins games