Jan 1, 2014, 5:26 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this 2014 New Year’s Day, 249 days before the opening Sunday of the 2014 NFL season.
The Mike Shanahan era is over. Yesterday we took a look at some things that went well for the during the last four years. Today we’ll ring in the new year taking one last look back at what went wrong.
In chronological order, the five worst events of the Shanahan era:
1. One of his first moves was to trade second- and fifth fourth-round draft picks for Donovan McNabb, who was the starter at quarterback for all of 13 games.
2. In the 2010 rematch with the Eagles, Michael Vick looked like a video game player as he pass and ran the Redskins out of their home field in a 59-28 Monday night thrashing.
3. Shanahan went into the 2011 season saying that he would “stake my reputation” on the premise that Rex Grossman and John Beck were legitimate NFL quarterbacks. The two combined to throw 19 touchdowns to 24 interceptions and posted a sub-mediocre passer rating of 73.3.
4. In the playoff game against the Seahawks, the decision to leave Robert Griffin III in the game despite a gimpy knee (and Griffin’s insistence that he was fine to continue playing) had repercussions that will linger beyond Shanahan’s departure as coach.
5. The 2013 Redskins started the season 0-3 and ended it with an ugly 0-8 skid. They were outscored by 144 points, their worst scoring differential since 1954.
Stat of the day
—The Redskins lost 13 games this year. Seven times in his NFL career Mike Shanahan went for two straight seasons losing fewer than 13 games. Once he went three years with a total of just nine losses.
—On this date in 1984, the Redskins thrashed the Rams 51-7 in the divisional round of the 1983 season playoffs.
—Days until: NFL free agency 69; 2014 NFL Draft 127; 2014 Opening Sunday 249
In case you missed it
- Who will be the Skins’ next coach?
- Report: Redskins interview Bevell in Seattle
- Redskins sign seven to futures contracts
- Redskins NFL draft prospects in bowls: Chick-Fil-A, Liberty, Sun, AdvoCare V100
- Redskins to interview Panthers’ McDermott
- A Gruden-Allen reunion is unlikely
- Five good things from the Shanahan era
Is Briles a good fit for the Redskins?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Could Matt Forte be a fit for the Ravens or Redskins?
- Report: Final hurdle cleared ahead of RG3's expected release
- RG3 gets birthday wishes from Terrance Knighton - complete with big hit
- Do the Redskins need to find new returners in 2016?
- Have the Redskins found the answer at right tackle?
- NBC10: No warrant expected for LeSean McCoy until next week
- For Redskins and Cousins no news is good news
- How different will the Redskins' D-line look in 2016?
- Redskins outclass NFC East for 2015 rookie haul
- Ballhawks wanted at Redskins Park