Dec 31, 2013, 4:49 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this 2013 New Year’s Eve, 250 days before the opening Sunday of the 2014 NFL season.
The Mike Shanahan era is over. This morning we look at some of the good things the team accomplished since 2010. Tomorrow we’ll turn our attention to the bad.
In chronological order, five good things accomplished under Shanahan:
1. In 2010, the much-hyped return of Donovan McNabb to Philadelphia ended with the Redskins escaping with a 17-12 win over the Eagles. The following week they took on the eventual Super Bowl champion Packers at FedEx Field and came out with an exciting 16-13 OT win.
2. In 2011 they beat the Super Bowl champion Giants twice. They won 28-14 in the season opener at FedEx Field and took at 23-10 victory in the Meadowlands in Week 15.
3. In the sixth round of the 2012 draft Shanahan drafted Alfred Morris, who set the franchise record for rushing yards in a season as a rookie.
4. Mike and Kyle Shanahan developed an offense that took read option and spread elements from the college game and mixed it in the zone blocking in the run scheme to help Robert Griffin III and the Redskins offense light up the league in 2012. The team led the league in yards per play and in rushing yards and Griffin won about every rookie of the year honor there was.
5. That offense helped propel the Redskins on a seven-game winning streak to end the season. That got them the NFC East title, the team’s first since 1999.
Stat of the day
—Through eight games the Redskins defense was ranked 30th in the league in terms of yards allowed. It finished the season ranked 18th.
—On this date in 1972, the Redskins beat the Dallas Cowboys 26-3 in the NFC title game to advance to Super Bowl VII.
—Days until: NFL free agency 70; 2014 NFL Draft 128; 2014 Opening Sunday 250
In case you missed it
- Allen will control personnel decisions
- Redskins draft prospects in bowls: Holiday, Alamo, Music City, Armed Forces
- Redskins announce coaching dismissals
- Kyle Shanahan also fired
- Shanahan says cap hit hurt team’s chances
- Shanahan officially fired as Redskins head coach
- Redskins’ 2014 schedule set
- What’s next for the Redskins?
Allen promises long list of coaching candidates
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' McCoy on backing up Cousins: 'I try to help him as much as I can'
- Need to Know: The Redskins week that was—Cousins on the rise
- Redskins position preview: Cornerbacks
- Will the Redskins air it out more in 2016?
- Need to Know: The top five receivers the Redskins will face in 2016
- Redskins' Callahan on Lichtensteiger: 'We’re fortunate to have him'
- As deadline approaches, little momentum for Kirk Cousins' long-term deal
- Left guard preview: Big competition coming at Redskins camp
- Need to Know: RB Arian Foster says he’s ready to go—should the Redskins call?
- Among NFL tight ends, Jordan Reed ranks as "most dangerous"